Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Two Part Question: Older stone basement wall leaking and slight bowing.

Two Part Question: Older stone basement wall leaking and slight bowing.

Old 08-21-14, 08:44 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Two Part Question: Older stone basement wall leaking and slight bowing.

Hi, first post.

I am looking at purchasing a home in an area that does not flood. It is in a historical district, to put it in perspective of the type and age of the house.

There is a section of the basement where it is bowing and leaking, just one spot. Fortunately, I believe that it is possible to put in the I-Beams to support the wall.

First question: How well do I Beams work with older stone foundations? Are we talking some additional work? or just tighter spacing between I beams?

Secondly, this area of the foundation that is leaking would be a perfect spot for me to build a basement entrance, either a cellar door, or dig the drive way down to a significant depth.

Second question: How feasible is it to cut out a basement walkway through a older stone foundation?

Old 08-21-14, 10:09 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
None of what your suggesting is an easy DIY job.
And not cheap.

Near impossible to "cut out" a hole to install a door in a stone wall.
If it was me I'd keep looking for a different house.

Old 08-21-14, 11:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 894 Votes on 824 Posts
You should also check into the restrictions based on the home's historical status. Historical rules and their committees can sometimes be strict and difficult. Your idea of adding an entrance might not be a viable option in the eye of the hysterical committee.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: