Rotten sill plate and cripple wall stud

Old 08-22-14, 11:45 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rotten sill plate and cripple wall stud

Hi,

I was looking under our house to see if I needed to insulate our hot water pipes, and found this mess. Apparently our washer drain has had a small leak for a while. Part of the sill plate is pretty rotten, as is the stud in the cripple wall. You can see the old metal (cast iron??) pipe coming down from above, and then where it attaches to the abs pipe. I'll be replacing that whole old section, but I'm more concerned about the rotten framing.

Can I just replace the small section of the sill plate that is bad? And I would imagine to replace the bad stud, I'll need to hammer in some temporary support for the floor joist.

Luckily that section of the crawlspace is a few feet high, so working down there won't be completely impossible.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Name:  washer_drain_leak_sm.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  34.6 KB

Old 08-22-14, 11:57 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Hard to tell how bad it is from the picture - is the wood soft or still pretty stout?

Old 08-22-14, 12:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
You need to remove and replace rotten framing! Hard to say from here how big/small of a job that will be. You do need to make sure everything is securely supported before you remove/replace the rotten lumber!

Old 08-22-14, 12:11 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The stud is certainly shot. You could probably easily shove a screwdriver into it. The sill plate I'm not sure, I didn't want to poke at things too much until I had a repair plan.

Old 08-22-14, 12:36 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Yeah, sounds like they both need to go, as Mark said.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: