Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Laser square for all my square, plumb, level needs?

Laser square for all my square, plumb, level needs?

Old 08-22-14, 08:30 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Laser square for all my square, plumb, level needs?

So in putting up the walls in my basement I have realized just how un even concrete walls can be. This has made it hard to get a measuring point to square the walls. Needless to say I have yet to commit to the drilling and nailing the plates to the floors.

My question is this, should I get a laser square like this Boch GTL2 Robot Check . it seems this is just what I need to make my life easier. Looks like it plumbs, levels and squares accurately up to 1 inch per 100ft.

What are some thoughts and opinions on this. Keep in mind this DIY project is being done solo so I have no extra hands to chalk lines or hold tapes at long distances.

Old 08-22-14, 09:25 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
. Keep in mind this DIY project is being done solo so I have no extra hands to chalk lines or hold tapes at long distances.
I have worked solo foe most of my life and never found those a problem. A 4d nail solves the chalk line problem and a locking tape measure solves the other.

Old 08-22-14, 10:47 PM
G
you don't need anything fancy. Start with your longest wall. Set a nail in the floor in one corner 2" out then string a line down the length of the wall and set a nail 2" out on the other cornner you could drill a pilot hole to set the nail or use a concrete nail but the first method is better. Then stretch a line down the wall and find the closest area where the new wall will interfere. Then move the nails to get a beginning point. Check for plumb also off the line. Snap the first line and lay out with simple math to get everything right .6, 8 @ 12 is simple.

Old 08-22-14, 10:54 PM
G
Oh also consider doing the job with metal studs. I ended up doing a couple of basements several years back. Short of any help I had to frame these by myself and the light material made it much eiesier to carry in the material and build alone.

Old 08-23-14, 05:00 AM
W
Received 34 Votes on 31 Posts
.6, 8 @ 12 is simple.
That should be 6, 8. 10...................

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: