What should I do with these lolly columns?

Old 08-26-14, 01:59 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question What should I do with these lolly columns?

I'm setting this up like a studio apartment the TV will most likely go on the wall between the two windows. I'm thinking maybe a half wall from one pole to the other to put a couch against? Maybe wrap the wall around a little like a 1/4 of a square to section off the area a bit?

Don't mind the arrow this was used in another thread. You can see the two lolly columns in the middle of the top picture and to the left in the bottom picture.

Old 08-26-14, 02:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Not much you can do with them but to enclose them in wood, or wrap rope around them. You can't do away with them, just make them visually disappear.

Old 08-26-14, 04:33 PM
R
Lol right I realize I can't remove them. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to deal with them.

I'm not sure if implementing them into a half wall would be better so they serve a purpose. Or just box them in and and accept what they are. Orr duel stripper poles hmm

Old 08-26-14, 04:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Door #3 has it's high points

Old 08-26-14, 07:04 PM
R
Box them in w/ tall thin edgeless mirrors... they will disappear for sure...

... and you can enjoy laughing at your guests when they run into them

Old 08-31-14, 07:14 PM
B
Not sure about your budget for this remodel, but you *can* get rid of the posts if you want to -- as long as you replace them with something that will carry the load. This will require two new concrete footings, two 6x6 posts (maybe even 4x4) and a properly sized beam. You'd also want to pay a professional structural engineer to run the beam calcs for you for insurance purposes and your piece of mind.

We did this for a large basement tv/rec room at our previous house where a steel I-beam (glue lam can work too) spans 18 feet to create an uninterrupted open space. We spent more on framing to bury the beam in the ceiling and after drywall it was invisible. Total cost was $3K-$4K. I think it made a huge difference when we went to sell the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: