Drywall hanging - Contractor or Do myself?

Old 08-31-14, 07:21 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drywall hanging - Contractor or Do myself?

I am finishing my basement. The walls are framed and ready to hang drywall.

I want the finished product to look great so I am going to have a professional come and do the mudding and tapping.

What I am trying to decide is whether I get some buddies and hang the drywall myself (no experience) or get an experienced company to come in and hand the drywall.

Either way I am going to get a professional to mud and tap.

Is there much skill to hanging drywall? Can some guys with little experience do a good job?

Old 08-31-14, 07:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 933 Votes on 852 Posts
As long as you do it right and don't make it look like a patchwork quilt, you should be able to hang it. But if you do a crappy job, your finisher will turn around and walk out when he takes one look at it.

Hang it horizontally... use the longest sheets possible, avoid making unnecessary joints, and get all your joints tight where pieces butt together. You also have to set all your nails and/or screws below the surface.

Old 08-31-14, 07:57 AM
A
I found some guys who say they have experience hanging drywall. Do I get them to do it for cheap, or do I pay a big company big bucks?

Old 08-31-14, 08:27 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have been involved in thousands of drywall jobs. Don't know anybody who really charged "big bucks" for a job.

It's like this.... If you and your friends do it, you will discover the things that can aggravate you, if you hire someone they will have gone through that experience and treat it as everyday occurrence.

As has been stated, hang the largest sheets possible, plan your butt ends so they are at a minimum and do neat cuts at elec. boxes if you don't want to PO your finisher.

Old 08-31-14, 09:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
Ya, any finisher is going to balk at a poorly hung job and either leave or charge extra. Hanging drywall isn't rocket science but you need to limit the joints best you can and make sure all the screws/nails are set. No finisher wants to stop and set a screw! Same thing with unnecessary or bad joints.

If you have a finisher in mind, it doesn't hurt to ask him who he would prefer to hang the drywall. He'll know which hangers do a good job and which ones he doesn't like going behind.

Old 08-31-14, 11:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 933 Votes on 852 Posts
You could end up paying some team of workers to do it and they could still do a lousy job. If they are experienced and come with good references, it would probably be money well spent. Professional finishers also know plenty of guys who will hang. So if you are going that route, I would suggest you talk to your finisher. He probably has guys that he would recommend because he knows what kind of quality work to expect when he walks in.

Hanging drywall isn't rocket science. But if you've never done it before, calvert's point about the outlets is a good one. There are a few little things like that that will give evidence to your finisher whether or not they knew what they were doing. A poor job of hanging just makes the finisher's job harder. And he will likely have to charge you more as a result. Either that or he'll be ticked off and not even try very hard to do a good job. Good hangers and finishers are actually kind of hard to find.

Funny, I just now read marksr's reply. We seem to think alike. LOL

Old 08-31-14, 06:44 PM
B
I'm with the others that recommend getting a referral from your taper. He should know guys that will come over and do the job for some extra cash beyond their day jobs.

Depending on your budget you *could* do this yourself but there are a couple of things to keep in mind:
1. Are you doing the ceiling? If so, are you planning on renting a lift? It's a basement so I wouldn't expect your ceilings to be too high but still those sheets get heavy quickly and a lift will make it much easier. If you don't move quickly, your lift rental fees will quickly start to eat into your diy savings.
2. Also with ceilings and in a basement there is a good chance you're dealing with some (a lot) of can lights. If you know how to use a rotozip then that should go quickly, otherwise it'll take a while for you to make all those cutouts by hand. Btw, if you don't know how to use a rotozip and decide to "learn" then that's a great way to mess up a lot of perfectly good drywall sheets. Ask me how I know.
3. If you do it are you going to use 4x8 sheets? I'd expect a pro to use 4x12 to reduce the number of joints. Less work for your taper and may cost you a little less there.
4. Are your ceilings/walls straight or are you going to have to do some shimming?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: