How to remove cement between rim joists

Old 09-05-14, 07:36 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to remove cement between rim joists

Hi - I've been told that I should remove the cement between my rim joists before doing 2# foam insulation. My home is located in Minnesota.

I'm seriously struggling at removing the cement. There has got to be a better way. I'm using a 3/4" masonary drill bit along with a 3/4" screw driver which is being hit with a metal mallet. I'm also using a flat bar. I can get chunks of it broken up at a time, but the biggest problem is that I just can't break it up enough at one time. It's coming apart in very small chunks which is taking forever. I'm hoping there is some tool/method that I can use to somehow break it up in bigger chunks so I can pull it out a lot faster/easier.

Any ideas?

Old 09-06-14, 03:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Why are you wanting to remove it? Not seeing what you see doesn't give much insight. Pictures?

Old 09-06-14, 05:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 940 Votes on 858 Posts
Rent a jackhammer or a 1 1/2" rotary hammer with a chisel point bit.

Old 09-18-14, 11:19 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here is a picture that hopefully helps. I'm wanting to remove it because I've had several people tell me that I want to bust out the cement and then at the minimum fill in the spaces with great stuff spray along with some unfaced fiberglass insulation. Best case scenario I'm told is to have it all spray foamed.
Name:  IMG_0952.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  26.7 KB

Old 09-18-14, 12:12 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
There are two reasons for filling in that space, air sealing and insulation. But the time and effort to remove that concrete will buy you very little of either of those. Note, there may be a concern about having the wood in contact with the concrete, but the joists appear to be already resting directly on the blocks. Also note, that concrete may have already accomplished some of the air sealing.

If you move forward from here, insulating over that concrete AND continuing to insulate down the wall at least to one foot below grade you will then enjoy some benefits.

Air seal around the existing concrete with caulking and then cut and fit some Roxul batts to fill in the cavity. For the blocks below, a layer of foil faced rigid foam would provide the fire barrier and insulation in one step. More detains if you go this direction.

Bud

Old 09-19-14, 11:19 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
MAYBE a bosch sds+ size chipping gun but not a jackhammer weighing 40# on up & standing on a ladder holding the thing head high

Old 09-19-14, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 940 Votes on 858 Posts
Now that we have a picture... yes, the 1 1/2" rotary hammer which a chisel point is the best option.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: