Wet and/or leaking walls basement

Old 09-06-14, 03:09 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wet and/or leaking walls basement

I guess the first mistake I made was buying a house as is. I am now finding the walls in the basement seem to leak. I also notice, NOW, that the previous owners used anything they could to fill in cracks in the mortar. I am at a loss. I have talked to a few people who recommended using Quickrete Hydraulic water stop cement to fill the holes and then to use Quickwall surface bonding cement over the remainder of the wall to cover any chance of additional leakage. I do know, we have a problem with the gutters and it is being addressed, so that should help with the amount of water going towards the house.

Does anyone have any idea if this will work. I hate to spend the money and time doing this for it not to work.

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-14, 03:37 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The gutters are a start. Also look for cracks in the foundation & the pitch of the land. Don't do any inside work until the outside is corrected first. How high is the water table?

Old 09-06-14, 03:47 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
There are steps you can take to minimize water and moisture vapor moving through those walls, however, it is most likely that basement was never build to be dry. If you want a really dry basement the process starts before the foundation is poured, landscaping, elevation, and drainage come first, then a variety of water and moisture prevention measures follow the building process. Few homes are ever done this way, especially older homes.

My point here is, don't expect to ever get that basement dry. Below is a link that discusses moisture issues in basements.
BSD-103: Understanding Basements — Building Science Information

Bud

Old 09-09-14, 09:08 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
you can dry it however it involves exterior excavation down to the vertical midpoint of the foundation, installing a toe drain discharging either to daylight OR pump,,, we use hlm5000 for wall wtrproofing,,, it can be done but,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 09-09-14, 04:19 PM
Received 253 Votes on 227 Posts
The gutter issue and the slop of the ground as Pulpo mentioned will do a lot to minimize the water seepage. Then if you don't want to spend a lot of money use the interior paints. It won't be perfect or permanent, but it will keep it neat and clean. Then you will do it again about every 5 to 10 years.

Old 09-12-14, 02:28 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
look at it this way - your bsmt is as a ship's hull below the waterline,,, either you stop the water outside OR you manage it inside ( drain to daylight OR pump ),,, IF you somehow do manage to stop a leak in 1 spot, the water will just find another opening/weak spot,,, soon you'll run out of fingers there's another issue - most soils are acidic & the rain turns into an acid,,, that acid attacks the lime in your cement ( lime being an ingredient of cement & cement being an ingredient of concrete/concrete masonary units/cinder blocks ) either you bite the bullet now OR let the bullet keep biting you

we don't offer these responses to **** you off