Placing carpet tiles directly on concrete floor

Old 09-16-14, 01:56 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Placing carpet tiles directly on concrete floor

I was able to get a bunch of old carpet tiles (rubber backed) from work. My basement had some carpet, carpet pad, and old school vinyl tile in the basement. I ripped up all the carpet and pad, and a fair amount of the vinyl tiles came along with it.

My question is, my basement stays dry, just gets very humid in the summer. I purchased a dehumidifier to help with that.

Any suggestions on whether I can put the tiles down directly to the concrete? should I put some sort of moisture barrier down? Some sort of paint or epoxy?

Old 09-16-14, 02:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Do the tiles have adhesive, or just the backing? If just the backing, you won't need any underlayment. Of course I don't know the type of carpet tile you have, so my comment is a generality.

Old 09-16-14, 03:00 PM
B
carpet, plus about 1/4 inch rubber back, I was going to use some adhesive from work as well. The office handy man basically told me to take what I need

Old 09-16-14, 03:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You'll need to remove all the old flooring. Remember, if the tiles will stay put without the adhesive, you will be better off, due to the extreme trouble you will have later to remove the carpet tiles for a remodel. If you have to use the adhesive, make sure it is compatible to the foam backing.

Old 09-16-14, 03:35 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
You will want a pressure sensitive adhesive. It will allow you to lift and replace tiles down the road. Pressure sensitive adhesive is a lot like those little globs of glue you find on the back of credit cards that are mailed to you. It is tacky, but not a perm. bond. Trowel it on with a v-notched trowel - Let it set up/dry per instructions, and then set your carpet tiles. No moisture barrier.

Old 09-16-14, 06:00 PM
B
ok thank you. So remove everything and get down to the concrete. I believe the majority of these are still pretty tacky, so im hoping I will not need any adhesive

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: