Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Water Main Penetration Leak in Cinder Block Basement

Old 09-19-14, 04:51 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello all.

I have a cinder block basement with a plastic/rubber water main entering the house through a hole in the foundation.

Last winter we had a very heavy snow and a quick thaw. During that time, a water leak developed around the pipe.

I cleaned around the pipe as best I could and filled it in with "Great Stuff". Over top of that I sprayed quite a few layers of Leak Sealer (forms a a kind of rubbery seal) then silicone on top of that.

Name:  pipe_inside.jpg
Views: 3958
Size:  41.2 KB

It looks sealed well enough, and that is the only time I've had a leak before or since. However, going into winter, I am concerned that the water will still leak into the outside of the foundation wall and could force its way other places in the cinder blocks, doing damage I may not see as quickly.

Our plumber recommended excavating to find the pipe outside and patching the exterior wall with hydraulic cement and tar, so I began digging down to find the pipe (around 3 ft below grade).

However doing some research online I have seen lots of conflicting opinions about hydraulic cement and exterior patching. The preferred treatment seems to be a polyurethane injection from inside, but I also read that is not suitable for cinder block foundations.

I am no expert and would appreciate the forum's help and guidance. What is the best way to ensure no water gets in?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-20-14, 02:38 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The plumber is right as far as sealing from the outside goes. That's the best method. I haven't heard any opinions on hydraulic cement used outside. BTW, the foundation is probably cement block not cinder. What year was the house built?

Old 09-20-14, 02:41 PM
T
Thanks for the response Pulpo.

The house was built in 1989. You could be right it is cement block, I actually thought the two terms were interchangeable.

Old 09-22-14, 08:00 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
thought i'd already post'd a response to this issue - was this also post'd in another less-professional, less-profound forum frequented by those who have either no or little social grace, practical knowledge, or brains ?

this sound familiar ? ' usually there's a penetration liner thru which the pipe passes,,, great stuff's not the right mtl but it'd be a pita to remove,,, fix it outside as recommended,,, IF you can find some leftover hlm5000, that would work GREAT ! no roofing cement, tho protect hlm from backfill damage & compaction w/sheet foam '

i'm not suggesting this is the ONLY way to do it but i am saying this is how WE do this work & we make a good living from it

Old 10-02-14, 05:44 AM
T
Hi Stadry, thanks for the response. Not sure I saw your response on another forum but glad to see it here.

I could not find any HLM 5000 at Home Depot but I did get a product called "blue skin" which forms a waterproof membrane and is designed for foundation.

Have excavated the pipe so my current plan is to clear out around it, refill with hydraulic cement, cover with blue skin, then cover with some sheet foam to avoid backfill damage as you suggested.

Hope it works!

Old 10-03-14, 08:00 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
you need to google a source,,, its rare 1 can find pro specific materials @ apron/vest stores,,, since my resume's fed work, municipay, & state dot's, mtls we often used are easy for us to source 'cause we know NOT to waste time@ the apron/vest stores

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: