basement in split level entry

Old 09-21-14, 05:43 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
basement in split level entry

hello all. I'm hoping someone can answer a question about my basement for me. I live in a split level entry home built in 1994. the basement is half underground, half above. the bottom half of the wall (about 3 ft) is cinder block, the top half is wood framed. this creates a ledge around all the outer wall. I bought the house in '94 (original owner) with the basement fully finished. what I'm trying to figure out is, what's behind the drywall on the cinder block half of the wall? did they frame it out with 2x4's? or are there maybe just 1x3's back there? the reason I'm wondering is, I just recently finished renovating, and plan on hanging a 50lb TV stand on that portion of the wall, but worried that there many not be adequate framing there to screw into. I'm worried that there are 1x3's or something else there, as in theory, all the builders needed was something to nail the drywall to.

Old 09-21-14, 06:59 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Work your math into the final figure. Go to a window where you can get the measurements to the outside. Block is 8" thick - Measure the outside to the front edge of the wall, subtract the block plus the 1/2" drywall - The difference would be the amount of wood used as furring strips. If 1 1/2" then to determine if 2x4 laid flat or 2x2 - use a stud finder to determine if the face edges are also 1 1/2" or 3 1/2".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: