Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

How many vents and returns and where should they go??

How many vents and returns and where should they go??

Old 09-24-14, 03:04 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question How many vents and returns and where should they go??

So as it stands, I have two heat vents and one return for the whole downstairs. The return did go down a wall to the floor but I have removed that wall.

How many vents and returns should I have to sufficiently cover this area and where should they go? Should I keep them all in the soffit? There is only a couple areas That I can bring the vents or returns to the floor due to the foundations sill. Maybe just add one heat vent for the bathroom?

(The room I am standing in when I took this picture will be the bathroom. Next to it, the kitchen then an open studio type room.)

Any suggestions are appreciated

Name:  20140924_174756.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  25.6 KB

Old 09-25-14, 08:48 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bump, does anyone have any suggestions??

Old 09-25-14, 09:53 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi ru, I'm not an hvac pro, but the process starts with a heat loss calculation. One has to know how much heat is exiting a room or house before they can determine how much heat needs to be delivered. This becomes more important when both upstairs and downstairs are on the same thermostat.

My specialty is energy efficiency which involves proper air sealing and moisture control. Before those wall and ceiling get finished, be sure they are air sealed and that rim joist is well insulated. It looks like much of the wall pictured is above grade so treat that woof framed area like any outside wall. Below grade foundation areas will need a different approach.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: