Mold on plywood in cold room

Old 09-24-14, 09:23 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mold on plywood in cold room

Hi All,

I just purchased my first house and noticed that there is some mold on the plywood of the cold room ceiling which I'd like to remove.

My question is, is it better to simply remove all this wood in order to get rid of the mold (and if so how can I go about doing this)? Or am I better off leaving the wood as is and trying to clean the mold off it?

Also, does it look like the black shading on the concrete is mold as well?

Name:  20140910_144634.jpg
Views: 4755
Size:  34.3 KB

Name:  20140910_144645.jpg
Views: 2805
Size:  23.5 KB

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-25-14, 03:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums. The wood appears to be supporting flooring. What is above this room? You may be successful by spraying the area with a mildewcide, or a light concentration of bleach/water.

Old 09-25-14, 03:46 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I am presuming there is a concrete deck above that frame and osb. The situation you have is caused by water intrusion from the corner edge of the concrete deck above. This may be relative to the original pouring of concrete or it may represent an ongoing water issue. Have you seen any evidence of water on the wall during a rain event.?

I'm not of the opinion this is something you can successfully surface clean. If you do indeed have concrete above this then you should be able to remove all of that form work and expose the concrete above. At that point, as long as you don't have evidence of a water issue, you could leave as is or spray foam to the concrete above to control potential condensation issues and heat loss.

Old 09-25-14, 05:39 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses!

Like Calvert mentioned, above the cold room is a concrete porch. However, I haven't had a chance to look at it after it has rained as I haven't physically moved in yet. I was hoping to take care of the issue before I moved all my stuff in.

Since it's a concrete deck above, would it be safe to try and remove all the wood using a crow bar or something similar?

Last edited by newbieguy; 09-25-14 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-25-14, 06:01 PM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks for the quick responses!

Like Calvert mentioned, above the cold room is a concrete porch. However, I haven't had a chance to look at it after it has rained as I haven't physically moved in yet. I was hoping to take care of the issue before I moved all my stuff in.

Since it's a concrete deck above, would it be safe to try and remove all the wood using a crow bar or something similar?

You can safely remove the wood forms by any method required. Just be careful about knocking out the support posts and having the upper potion fall. Doubtful that it would but the safest way to do this may be to set a circular saw to the depth of the thickness of the osb, cut the material roughly in the center of the joist spacing and pry a section out at a time.

Typically, concrete decks like this are placed over steel decking that remains in place but your installation used the wood and osb as a temporary support for the concrete placement. Since concrete transfers moisture by capillary action it is only a matter of time before the osb eventually starts to show mold and decay just about everywhere.

Old 09-26-14, 04:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Good that is was a concrete floor. Some other type, such as wood, could have presented a real problem. I think calvert has you on the right path. We don't have cold rooms in the South, so I was being overly cautious. Our cold rooms are caves built in the side of mountains.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: