need permit ?

Old 09-25-14, 06:21 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need permit ?

hi , in my basement i want to divide the room , and make a playroom for my kids ,
i need to do a wall for separate the room , with a door , and i want to do a subfloor .
i need a permit for do this ? or not ?

after this , i have to put some plug and light , i need a permit for this ?

thank's

Old 09-25-14, 07:10 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I don't see a location specified, but in general, yes. Specifically, you should discuss the needs for a permit with your local authorities. Don't view a permit as something to avoid, they are there to help and protect you. Future buyers and home inspectors can view the permit history of your home and ask, was this work permitted? If not, it could have to come out, plus penalties.

Bud

Old 09-25-14, 09:35 AM
M
and they have to come to see the basement before i start the work ? during the work? and at the eanding ?

because i have already done the subfloor , i have to put the tiles , and my uncle told me is better ask the permit before finish that , can i ask now ? or i have to remove the subfloor and ask the permit?

thank's

Old 09-25-14, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 134 Posts
No, they don't come to the house. You fill out the application and return it along with your drawn out plan, measurements, etc. When you get the application, it tells you what you need to do and what size the plans need to be, then you return it all for approval along with a fee.

You should do this before you start, not during or after.

They have these forms online now.

Old 09-25-14, 09:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 405 Votes on 361 Posts
The inspection process varies dependent on the locale. Sometimes all they want is the permit fee [which makes you legal] They will likely want to inspect any electrical work done both at the rough in and finish stage. As noted above, the permit office will let you know what they require.

Old 09-25-14, 10:03 AM
M
so , i can stop my work now , before i finish with the tiles and put the plug and light , and ask for the permit , and maybe they dont want to come , and i don't have to remove the subfloor ?

thank's

Old 09-25-14, 10:08 AM
M
and they tell me what material i have to use for do the work and how many plug i have to put there ?

Old 09-25-14, 11:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 405 Votes on 361 Posts
There is a code that has to be followed in regards to the electrical. I don't know if the permit office has a brochure or anything outlying what needs to be done. You might find a book like 'wiring simplified' helpful. The only good way to find out what will be required as far as the structure is to ask the permit office or someone that does that work in your area.

Old 09-25-14, 11:46 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
your flooring should be fine as any elec will come from either overhead OR horizontally thru the studs,,, you may need to have a home-run circuit

Old 09-25-14, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Not sure of your location, maybe I missed it. Your IP address isn't conclusive, but if you are in Chicago or one of the suburbs, the electrical code can be very strict and may require a licensed electrician.

Always best to check with your local authority before starting any job like this.

Old 09-25-14, 04:42 PM
M
ok thank's im go to the town for ask what i have to do

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: