Crawl Space Insulation Install question

Old 09-25-14, 10:42 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crawl Space Insulation Install question

I need some guidance on insulating our crawl space. We own a 1922 Brick Bungalow in Chicago. There is a Sunroom off the back of the house that was an addition before we bought. The addition runs all the way up the back of the house to the second floor(Entire 2nd floor is dormered up to make 4BR and 2 bath up there). The crawl space is under the Sunroom and stairs leading upstairs. It contains a concrete slab. I think we are losing tons of heat from that area. I have an HVAC duct running from mechanical room adjacent to the crawl space to floor registers in the sunroom and the second floor. I've attached pics for reference. What needs to be installed? Insulation under the sunroom floor between Joists? Do I need vapor barriers at all? Do I add insulation to the exterior walls (those are wood frame walls with vinyl siding on the exterior. Name:  CR1.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  24.6 KBName:  CR2.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  19.7 KBName:  CR3.jpg
Views: 1300
Size:  25.1 KBName:  CR4.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  19.6 KB. I'm assuming i should insulate the ductwork as well? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan

Old 09-25-14, 10:50 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Two ways to go on a crawlspace:
1. Open it up to the outside and seal it from the house, in which case you insulate the ceiling
2. Open it to the house air and seal it from the outside, in which case you insulate the walls.

Given that you have ductwork in the space, option 2 would be my choice.

Old 09-25-14, 11:24 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Okay. Option 2 makes sense. Any recommendations of a website that will provide good install instructions? Thanks.

Old 09-25-14, 12:36 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Hang tight and I'm sure Bud will be along with a link or two from the building science site for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: