Mold Fogger -is this product effective?

Old 09-26-14, 10:32 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mold Fogger -is this product effective?

Yesterday I went to Homedepot to buy some things that I needed for a project. Since I was going to need tools for my basement problem I wanted to know what are the prices for renting a soil compactor, maybe a miniexcavator and so on. The Homedepot guy gave me a price list and on that list I spotted a device called Mold Fogger ...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]38898[/ATTACH]

I was wondering what are your opinions about using this to try to stop or eliminate a light mold contamination.
Ring now I am only suspecting that I might have something mold. Other than some parquet plaques that have been replaced in an area under the window of my basement I have no evidences that inside there is something wrong. There is a very light smell exactly at the level where your head clears the first floor level as you go down on the stairs to access the basement. Sometimes the smell is present a little lower than that point but as you go through the basement there is nothing else to get me worried.
As far as that spot where the floor was replaced I kneed in that area and I tried to smell the floor right at the base of the vertical wall where I suspect that an wall crack might terminate. There was a slight smell in that area but nothing that you could sense in that room unless you would get that close to that spot

These being said, since I can not detect the source of the stronger smell that I is present at the entrance in my basement (red line level in the below picture) I am planning to use the gun depicted above to stop the unknown. Do you think that this will work? Has anybody tried this product ? I have come across a lighter version of this that does not need a tool but the reviews are mixed, the positive ones sound too optimistic and not very descriptive, maybe it is the manufacturer who is trying to pump up the sales, who knows

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-14, 01:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I have never used one. The description on the site makes it sound as if it would solve your problems, with the exception of behind wall coverings, where most of the mold grows. Exposed mold, it may work just fine on.
At $329 plus the mold control solution, it had better work

Old 09-26-14, 02:46 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I wouldn't bother until you establish you actually have a mold problem and address why first.

Old 09-28-14, 08:06 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
we own 1 & its VERY effective but, for the life of me, i can't see a diy'er-h/o owning or buying 1,,, btw, we use our own solution,,, impo, they are more effective in crawl spaces prior to encapsulation jobs

& mitch knows best ! ! !

Old 09-29-14, 08:54 AM
P
You do not need to own one.
you can rent one from home depot, I believe the cost is around 80$/day

Old 09-29-14, 09:10 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I'm not talking about cost or buying or renting the machine, I'm saying you need to establish whether you have a mold problem in the first place and the next step, if you do, is to figure out why and then address that. Only at that point would I be worried about dealing with any existing mold and potentially be looking at a machine like this.

Old 09-29-14, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 126 Votes on 98 Posts
You said you wanted to use it to stop or eliminate mold. How would renting it for one day do that?
By the time you rented it for several days, it would be cheaper to buy it, no?
If you don't know what's causing it, you'd need to be running it day after day, I would guess.

Old 09-29-14, 10:46 AM
P
Hi Mitch

Yes I totally agree with you. My reply was strictly about having to own or buy the device which are not mandatory. I hope to use it for one day in one or two rooms (kitchen area and the biggest room in the drawing)

I will have my inspection camera in one week and I guess then I will be able to answer the question "what is behind my walls" and how much and where it is affected.

So far I just have smell at the entrance in the basement, just in that area (rosy in the picture below). The perimeters delimited with brown, patio, deck & garage, are all above grade.
It is really strange, I have tried to smell every crack or join area of that small space where the stairs go into the basement but I could not find anything. The crawl space under the stairs is dry like a desert

Here is the layout of my floor (full size here http://i.imgur.com/S9gMJ6l.jpg )

I guess there is insulation behind the drywall, I could see it between the ceiling and the floor of the main level in the HVAC room where the things are not entirely finished around the AC pipes. The room is really small and not livable so it did not make sense for the former owner to close the ceiling around the main duct. The lateral walls are finished and insulated since they are adjacent to the other rooms

BTW is there any way to get those fumes produced by this guy behind the walls, finished walls I mean?

PS: the stairs are not depicted correct in the sense that the stairs shown in the picture are the stairs that go down to the basement (the visio shape used for this diagram was the wrong one in this sense, I should have rotated the shape 180 degree)

Last edited by PF4DIY; 09-29-14 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-29-14, 11:51 AM
P
@shadeladie: I would expect that the affected areas are small and I don't have to use it in each room. That means I would need it for one day, one day should be enough to kill or immunize two rooms. I don't expect the "infection" if there is a real one to expand. I am planning to deal with the water from outside as well.

Old 09-30-14, 05:32 PM
P
BTW I just checked the price per day is 32 CAD

Old 10-29-14, 09:29 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Dead mold is an allergen, so if you don't remove it it does you no good. You will need to fix what caused the mold are it will come right back.