Crawl space and slab?

Old 09-28-14, 10:33 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crawl space and slab?

I am currently doing a remodel on my home, the home has a crawl space however the master bedroom is about 6 inches lower than the rest of the home, after pulling up carpet and a piece of the wood floor there is concrete underneath the wood floor. Is it possible to use both a crawl space an a slab for construction?

I am not aware that the room was added on at any point and there doesn't appear to be any seems or anything of this nature on the outside of the home as I might expect if the room had been added on.

The issue is the floor is sagging right now and I would like to get it leveled, which I have heard is easier and cheaper in a crawl space home now I am worried I might be opening up a whole other can of worms.

A little background, home was built in 1951, 1350 square feet. Wood flooring appears to be all original according to wood floor finishing company.

If anyone has advice or can clear up this confusion I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 09-28-14, 10:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 894 Votes on 824 Posts
It's very possible that part of your house has a crawl space and part is on a slab. If you look around the outside of the master bedroom (MBR) and if you don't see crawl space vents or an access it's quite likely it's a slab. I think you'll have to get the floor up in the MBR and see what you've got. It may have been poured unlevel or you may find cracks where it has settled. In either case you may need to start looking into floor leveling type concrete products.

Old 09-28-14, 07:26 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Correct the sagging concrete floor by pouring a leveling overlay, bringing it up to the level of the rest of the house.

Old 09-29-14, 02:51 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
6 INCHES LOWER ? ? ? ok - i'll buy that BUT ixnay on filling it w/conc,,, IF your room measures 12 x 15 & you place 6" of conc, that adds almost 11,700# to the floor's deadload,,, since you've already got a sag, i think this addl weight may increase it FAR beyond the structure's support capability,,, consider 1st addl column supports under the floor incl spreader beams,,, then build to the desired elevation by placing a grid of 2x6's & 3/4" t&g plywood

what's the current sag from room edge to edge ?

Old 09-29-14, 04:20 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, Pilot Dane I think you are right I think the front of the house is crawl space and the back MBR was built on a slab.

stadry, as it sits currently one side of the room is flush with the wall on the other there is about a 3 inch gap between the wall and the floor.

If there is anyway I would like to save the original hard wood floors in the room so they match the rest of the house.

Old 09-29-14, 08:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 894 Votes on 824 Posts
Is there any way to what? The original flooring can probably be carefully removed and re-installed after the floor sag has been corrected. Another option to consider is mud jacking. A series of holes are drilled through the floor and grout (cement) is pumped in under pressure. They can return the floor to it's original elevation and the grout underneath fills any voids and provides support for the slab.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: