Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Concrete slabs or French drain for preventing water to infiltrate basement walls

Concrete slabs or French drain for preventing water to infiltrate basement walls

Old 10-01-14, 08:27 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi guys

First of all I want to make it clear that I do understand the importance of waterproofing below the grade. This post is about a temporary solution till I decide what to do and I have the money and the time to do it.

I was talking with a friend about my problem (see my other posts in this forum) and he suggested that actually I only have a surface problem and I should just set precast concrete slabs around the house. I am more inclined toward installing a french drain
He is saying that most of the water will be diverted by the precast concrete slabs but I don't think so.
In my opinion the french drain has the advantage of collecting the water and taking it away from the wall. This is about the grade level and slightly below it.
The concrete slabs will probably divert the water away locally but when the water reaches the outer edge of the slab (the edge opposed to the wall) the water will just enter the soil and from there it can go back under the slab and make it's way to the wall but at a lower point

As stadray remarked this is about a concrete brick foundation with possible cracks running from the above the grade window all the way down to the foundation.

Old 10-01-14, 11:48 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
you could also buy a bodacious large umbrella, too wtrproofing is done while the house is being built - RETRO wtrproofing is usually addl excavation AFTER the house's built - & wtr management is the drain system under the floor in your bsmt usually including a pump

it seems to me, by the time you add up the cost of precast conc slabs ( IF you can even buy/rent them ), you'd have spent enough to properly repair/alleviate/resolve your issue,,, why not just tack up some plastic sheeting for now - cheaper than the umbrella, no ?

& next time hang out w/smarter friends - stadry [NOT stadray] scheeesscchhh

Old 10-02-14, 03:49 AM
P
ok my "friend" ! :-)

It so happened that I demolished two sheds who were sitting just fine on a base of concrete slabs, so now I have a problem, in order to regrade the yard I have to move them and store them somewhere

Now that I have addressed the cost concern would you be so kind to get back to the spirit of this forum and give some advice instead of trying to discourage a poor guy like me ?!!

Old 10-03-14, 08:04 AM
S
& your point now is ??????? reality is not discouragement,,, you either get the conc out of the way ( forklift, crane, dumpster ), cover the area wplastic, or begin installing a sub-floor perimeter water management system ( some call 'em ' french drains ' )

Old 10-03-14, 10:14 AM
P
So your implicit answer is "don't use concrete slabs, go with the french drain"

thanks a lot

Old 10-07-14, 01:55 PM
S
no, explicit, tho you can define as you wish,,, why go to the trouble of adding conc just to find the wtr's still leaking ? once it starts, it rarely ' heals '

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: