Huge foundation wall crack with water

Old 10-02-14, 08:50 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Huge foundation wall crack with water


At least 5 ft long and in places up to 3 inches wide and deep. I believe the daily water flow is from the neighbor's underground sprinkler

Note the slight bow at the top of foundation. Should I call in a structural engineer?

What are my best options with regards to the crack ?
Attached Images  
Old 10-02-14, 12:36 PM
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 6,130
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A pretty vague description and a poor photo that begs rotating in some way. - Hard to give a recommendation without knowing if the wall is block, precast panels or poured in place.

since you have a deflection of the wall, call either a civil or structural engineer as a place to start. That will give you an idea of the importance and some ideas.

It may be due to a high water level/table or surface water. If there is a natural surface slope of the site, you might want to look at either deflection of the surface water or drain tile if you have a place to divert the water to.

Old 10-03-14, 07:55 AM
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: usa
Posts: 1,348
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
sue the *******s :-) how dare they ? looks like a block wall from,,,,,,, hell, who knows ? those pics suck,,, if i were you, i'd pay attn to dick's advice 1st,,, you really don't know what material was used in building your bsmt wall ? ? ?

as a practical legal issue, IF your neighbor deliberately adds specifically AND directly to your structure's drainage water problem, you may have an actionable issue,,, IF his house/property's higher than yours ( as is OUR neighbor's ), you're outta luck !

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: