Cutting Through Concrete Wall

Old 10-07-14, 01:01 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting Through Concrete Wall

I had an extension built a few years back and it included a basement. My original basement had a door to the outside. When the extension and new basement were built, that door became a doorway between the two basements.

I would like to widen that door and make a nice big opening. In order to do this I really only need one vertical cut through the 8 inch thick concrete. I know I can hire someone to make the cut but one vertical cut doesnt seem too bad to do myself.

Im thinking that I wouldnt even need to saw it and make all the dust and mess. I might be able to drill holes from top to bottom and then break the concrete off along the holes. In the end, it will all be sheetrocked anyway so I dont care how perfect the cut is.

Although, a support beam rests on this wall, but not where I am cutting. However Id like to go fairly close to where the support is and wouldnt want uneven breaks to wander and undermine the support (in that sense, having a nice clean cut would be better).

Is that reasonable?

Old 10-07-14, 01:03 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
So this was originally an outside wall but is no longer? If so, that sounds weight bearing to me.

Can you give us some pictures?

Old 10-07-14, 01:16 PM
R
Yes, this was an outside wall but is no longer weight bearing. As part of the extension, we installed 17 foot microlams, running the same direction as the concrete I want to cut. This was to join the extension to the existing house in a nice open layout. So, all of the weight that used to be on this concrete wall is now supported by the microlams, and the posts that hold it up are at the far ends of the room. The only weight the concrete wall still holds is the support beam in the basement which holds the floor rafters from the first floor of the original room. So, I woulndt cut under that, but up close to it. There are also the floor joists from the extension which rest on the plate with two 2x8s on top, which is on the concrete (no support beam in the new basement--double 2x8 floor joists span the room). But I can strengthen that with another 2x8 or two, or another microlam. The floor joists from the original room run parallel to the concrete wall I want to cut.

Does this help?

Old 10-07-14, 01:38 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
14" demo saws cut 4" deep,,, drill holes top & btm, snap a line, hit chalk w/hair spray in pump bottle, then saw away,,, may want to pin saw'd piece so it doesn't fall on you unexpectedly IF i were you, i'd cut wet

Old 10-07-14, 01:44 PM
R
I was hoping to only cut from one side. The original basement is finished and I would like to cut from the new basement to not get the original basement messy.

Old 10-07-14, 01:51 PM
S
understand,,, you'd need a 20" blade & that's pro equip,,, no rental shop i know even has 1,,, you MIGHT rent a diamond chain saw but there's that 2nd room issue,,, by the time you're done, i think the best call is to hire this work

Old 10-07-14, 02:01 PM
R
hire someone even just for one cut?

I guess the answer to the original question is "no," it isnt reasonable to drill a number of holes straight through the 8 inch wall, from top to bottom, and then break it apart that way.

Old 10-07-14, 02:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 933 Votes on 852 Posts
If you have an sds rotary hamner, a couple bits, a bottle of doans pills and an entire day to kill, your plan would probably work. but it won't be fun and it certainly won't be pretty.

Old 10-08-14, 03:16 AM
S
i guess it all depends on your definition of ' reasonable ' ? think sds size is too small,,, either the sds plus OR sds max would be more efficient nevertheless, either hammer'll give you reason for buying doan's pills problem w/drilling holes is that conc has no ' grain ' - its not like wood or granite - @ some point they can be snapped off,,, i hire pro's to cut for us - it doesn't make sense to own the equip anymore.

from what he posted, ' pretty ' isn't an issue,,, ok, bud - have at it & remember those pills

Old 10-08-14, 06:24 AM
Doing it yourself will give you satisfaction, but it be much more involved than you think (as things always do even with planning). You can count on a day plus organizing/shopping for little tools and supplies and of course, removal).

If you have a sawing contractor do the job, it will take an hour or so on the job (they have the tools and supplies with them) and they do the cleaning AND removal. It will be done better because they know what to do because they have seen the usual/unusual problems pop up before.

It is hard for a detail-oriented person turn over the job to someone else, but you get to jump in do the finishing that can be the fun part.

I hired a concrete contractor to saw the basement slab for drain tile installation totally about(150' long total plus some cross cuts). It took about 1 hour. He had a couple of fans to remove the old air and exhaust fumes). Little to no cleanup done because I was going to do the removal of the remaining concrete slab portions, excavation, installation and fill at my time schedule (I had a 12 year-old boy with friend to do some work). It worked for me after I finally got the entire project done.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: