Drylok Fast Plug

Old 10-08-14, 07:41 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drylok Fast Plug

Hello everyone,

We were fortunate enough to find out that we had a water problem and mold after moving in to our house. The dead giveaway was the mushroom growing in the room. We started with dehumidifying the basement and there was still water so it wasn't a condensation problem (or that wasn't the only problem). We gutted the room pretty much, carpet, drywalls, everything. The drywall supports were pretty much rotted black on the bottom wood boards so that is a good indication that it was happening for awhile. When it rained there would be a water puddle in the floor so there was obviously a leak somewhere. I traced back the flow of water to the crack between the floor and the wall that seemed to always look wet. We did the other preventative things such as cleaning the gutters and getting extenders for the down spouts.

So I decided to try the Drylok approach since it is a minimal cost to try and the other fixes are expensive. I scraped the walls and jumped into the fast plug but now I want to make sure that I am doing this right. There aren't really instructions but I am sure there is a way to do it wrong. We only could find a paint puddy knife instead of the chisel type. I tried to wait for it to turn to a mud consistency and then spread it on the vertical wall and horizontal wall and spread it evenly. The result is a little thicker than I was picturing. It is probably about an 1/8" thick of fast plug. I have a picture attached. Does this look alright or should I just break that out and get the chisel trowel to apply it more like a V? Or could I just get a chisel trowel to make sure I fill the gap between the wall and floor on top of what I did? I am just looking for insight and advice.

Thanks,

Greg

Attached Images  
Old 10-08-14, 09:17 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Before you put a lot of effort into changing what you have, let's assume you have plugged that leak. Give it a few rain storms to see if it worked or if the water just finds another path. Block walls are a honeycomb of paths connecting any leak on the outside to any number of leaks on the inside, even if the blocks are filled with concrete. And, if that isn't bad enough, if the water doesn't make it through in its liquid form, the vapor pressure from its gaseous form will enter everywhere.

What that water is telling you is that there is a leak on the outside, probably many, and if blocked on the most inner surface it will simply accumulate and keep pushing until it wins. Water rarely loses.

You are new to this home, so give it some time to better understand what you are up against. Those expensive options you want to avoid are what the pros do when they need to actually fix the problem.

I do wish you the best, but older basements were never intended to be finished living space. More modern basements, at a significant expense, are being built to be dry, but they are rare and they don't leak.

Bud

Old 10-08-14, 09:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 405 Votes on 361 Posts
In the meantime fix the easy stuff - mainly piping the downspouts away from the house. The more you can deter the water away from the foundation, the less chance of it finding it's way thru the foundation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: