How to Measure Depth of Foundation Walls?

Old 10-08-14, 12:54 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to Measure Depth of Foundation Walls?

Does anyone have any advice on the least intrusive way of determining the depth of the foundation (party) walls in a 100+ year old rowhouse?

The house is attached on both sides, the party walls act as the foundation for the home. Currently my ceilings are sitting at about 6.5 ft. But, my slab needs to be replaced and is so old that it is about 1-2 inches thick with nothing but dirt underneath, so some of the ceiling height is going to get eaten up when a new one goes in and requires additional thickness and other layers underneath.

I must know where the bottom of the existing party walls, and the front and rear walls, are to know if the foundation will require underpinning and by extension if the project is feasible. Is there a less-intrusive way of doing this other than digging? If not, anything in particular to avoid while doing this? There are no plumbing or utility lines running below ground.

Old 10-08-14, 02:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 937 Votes on 855 Posts
Use a post hole digger to dig your exploratory hole.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39666[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 10-13-14, 02:21 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
digging a hole is the easiest as sleepie posted,,, you may be able to excavate more to retain height but i'd retain a pe for onsite advice

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: