Damp basement and Paper Faced Polyiso

Old 10-10-14, 05:16 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Damp basement and Paper Faced Polyiso

I bought a house a couple months ago and have had issues with a damp basement. We just are finishing up regrading all around the house to correct the those issues which should resolve the damp basement walls. We have had some musty/moldy smell in the basement ever since we moved in. Our house is around 10 yrs old and has a unfinished basement that is completely framed out. I've been trying to figure out what has been causing the smell and I think I located it, the top 2 feet from the floor joists have paper faced polyiso glued to the concrete... now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that type of insulation used in attics? I pulled a piece off and sure enough there was mold behind and damp concrete. My plan is the remove all of the paper faced polyiso and scrub all the walls and the framing down with bleach and water. Is there a reason why the builder would have put this type of insulation on a basement wall? Does anyone have any tips for cleaning mold?

Old 10-10-14, 06:22 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
ask the builder the 1st question,,, bleach & water is good - we use it, too !

Old 10-10-14, 09:04 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That's a good idea I will see if I can track them down. Also I mistyped it's felt faced polyiso not paper faced. The good side is the basement isn't finished and the mold appears to only be on the polyiso.

Old 10-12-14, 07:33 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
closed cell OR open cell ? open breathes & closed doesn't

Old 10-12-14, 08:21 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Before you finish off that basement, there is a ton more reading to do. Although your landscaping is necessary it doesn't eliminate all of the moisture issues, the mold you found is an example. The soil will always have moisture and as stadry was asking the nature of the foam insulation is important as the walls must be allowed to dry to the inside. The drying is actually moisture vapor and not liquid water which must be eliminated. But that vapor, if blocked by a plastic vapor barrier, will accumulate until what ever is on the wall side of the VB is just as wet as the soil outside.

Here's some reading, more if needed.
BSD-103: Understanding Basements — Building Science Information
Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: