Load bearing wall?

Old 10-13-14, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Load bearing wall?

Hello DIYers!

This is my first post so I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge here. I just bought a new home (closing soon!) which has a great finished basement. There is an unfinished area that I am looking to potentially make into a home theater.

It's an area approx 22x9. Right in the middle of the room there is a wall framed out with a doorway in it. My question is. Is this a load-bearing wall? Reason I would like to know is it will obviously impact the project cost to have to hire a structural engineer to size the beam etc. but if it's not load bearing it'll make things a lot easier and cheaper.

Here are a few pictures of the framed-out wall: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oujegmgmc...8pGO5VvUa?dl=0

Thank you in advance for any advice!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-14, 04:23 PM
I can't tell from the pictures. It looks like it because the joists above are perpendicular to wall.
Nobody here though can tell you definitively that you can tear down a wall, that would be a bad idea.

Cost might not be that great, especially if you plan to do the work yourself.
I removed about 22 feet of load bearing wall at the back of my house. I paid engineer less than $150.00. This was for specs only, I did drawings and included the calculations with my drawings to city.

Old 10-19-14, 05:34 PM
It Looks Load Bearing

Judging by the pictures:

1. It's 2x6 framed and that would be serious overkill for a basement wall that wasn't load bearing.

2. All of the joists above have squash blocks, and multiples in some cases, on either side, a certain requirement for a load bearing wall.

3. The top plate is doubled and the top of those two is tied into the foundation wall on the far left.

4. The header above the door is standard for a bearing wall and would be overkill for any door opening not bearing unless the builder of the wall just happened to have a couple 2x10s around and it suited the height.

5. The picture with the door shows that the wall continues through to the next room (maybe a stairway there) and that's another indicator of a bearing wall.

I big teller is if it has a wall directly above it and I'm betting it does. Take a look at the framing and header around the door (the one with a door); that's typical of a non-bearing wall.

Old 10-19-14, 05:55 PM
Thank you, that was EXTREMELY helpful. Going on the assumption the wall is load-bearing, how big a job is it to replace with a load-bearing beam and open that wall up?

THANK YOU!!!

Old 10-20-14, 03:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Not that difficult, but it would require some on site determination as to how much beam is needed. It could possibly be done with double 9 1/4" LVL, supported on both ends. You would need to build two false walls on either side of this wall prior to removal. As always, get the blessings of a good structural engineer prior to embarking on a project like this. We are long distance, and cannot see all the ins and outs of it. Onsite prep is necessary.