Basement waterporoofing

Old 10-14-14, 05:17 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement waterporoofing

Hello,

I have a problem with a wet basement in the recently purchased townhouse. I am considering installing an interior drainage system (drain tiles) to help with the problem. I have 2 exterior walls and 2 walls that are separating my basement from my neighbors. I would like to know if it is necessary to install drain tiles all around the perimeter of the basement or just on the exterior walls. I am suspecting that water is also seeping around the footing of the walls that are not in direct contact with the soil. Does anybody have experience with this kind of installation? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 10-14-14, 05:30 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Start on the outside of the house - gutters, downspout extensions and grading to keep the water away from your foundation in the first place. While you're doing that, you can start figuring out where the water is getting into your basement to create a water management plan for the inside.

Old 10-17-14, 03:22 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
here's what we do - we run the system across the offending wall then make a run & run 1/4 - 1/3rd of the wall along both adjoining wall(s),,, our theory is treat the primary issue then add s'more on just to be certain - good luck !

+ what mitch post'd

Old 10-17-14, 04:20 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Being a Townhouse means all options are probably not under your control. One very common problem is the soil next to the foundation has settled over time, thus holding any water next to the foundation for it to drain vertically. If the adjacent soil does not slope noticeably away, it may involve the association to correct that issue. Tell us what you control.

If this effort to manage liquid water is a first step towards finishing that basement area, the water you see is only part of the problem. The other issue is moisture vapor that passes directly through the concrete. It also must be managed, but I'll wait to hear if you intend to add insulation and finish those walls.

Bud

Old 10-18-14, 03:25 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
--- ' wet basement in the recently purchased townhouse ' --- FORGIVE ME ! I APOLOGIZE,,, we're so used to doing condo wtrproofing, i plumb forgot to post the most basic advice - CALL YOUR ATTORNEY & SUE THE BAS***** however, IF the condition was disclosed to you prior to purchase, you're f'd so welcome to the forums !

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: