Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Incorrect basement finishing, spray foam a solution?

Old 10-19-14, 02:26 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I haven't been able to find this specific question on the forum, but if someone has seen it I would love to read the responses.

The previous owner of my home partially finished the basement by framing out the bare cinderblock walls. (Brick over Cinderblock if that affects anything). I renovated half of the basement for a HT room, put up XPS as a vapor barrier and some fiberglass over that. Spray foamed the top of the cinderblock wall and the outer edge of the baseboards. Vapor barrier and framing/insulation on the cement floor as well.

I've tapped my budget for the time being, and it has me questioning whether I need to go through that entire process again for the rest of the finished basement. Could I get away with retro-spray foaming the rest of the finished basement and into the floorboards on top of the cinderblock walls? Would that work as a sufficient vapor barrier or will it have any effect whatsoever? Love to hear some thoughts!

Thanks.

Old 10-20-14, 03:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Not sure if this hits your question or not, but frame out your walls from the concrete. They should be standing free from the concrete and not attached to it. You didn't elaborate on that. XPS on the concrete wall is a good vapor barrier if done correctly and sealed properly. All the look outs above the basement wall will need insulation. Spray foam in cans is horribly expensive. I would recommend Roxul batts, cut to size, then foamed around the perimeter for a good insulation of those areas. Posting pictures of your project will help us give better advice, too. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 10-21-14, 06:01 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
IF all your bsmt's above grade, sure,,, just be sure you use open-cell so it won't trap leaking wtr,,, what do you have - walk-out bsmt ? we're in marietta w/block & walkout. f/g insulation on the framed part & zip on the rest - works fine here

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: