No attic opening

Old 10-21-14, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No attic opening

I bought a house that is about 6 years old. The upstairs was all finished but one room in the basement needs done yet. Anyhow - they never put an attic opening in the house. They bought one but never installed it. How do I know where I should put the dang thing? I'm guessing in a closet, but how do I know what I'll be cutting into - yes, all finished ceilings.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-14, 03:10 PM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Hi cj and welcome to the forum.

Your hesitation is correct and may be why they never installed it. It the roof structure is made out of trusses they cannot be cut. Well they can, but you should have an engineer design what needs to be done to brace what remains.

I would start with a stud finder and check all ceiling in closets where you would consider locating the opening. If you find one where the space between the trusses is basically the middle of the closet ceiling then that is an option. Trusses are often positioned 24" on center giving you a nominal opening of 22.5", which probably doesn't fit that leftover opening frame. But fabricating your own into a 22.5" space (if available avoids cutting a truss.

Is there an attached garage where you can see how the ceiling is constructed?

Bud

Old 10-21-14, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Bud. I never thought of making my own frame - duh! Thanks again.

The house is a raised ranch with the garage under the kitchen. Of course they finished the garage ceiling too making my wiring project a nightmare, but, what can you do? Heck, they never even put rain gutters on the house. I got into it at a good price though, so I can't really complain.

Thanks!

Chris

Old 10-21-14, 04:06 PM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
The closet attic access locations can be problematic when the rafters are 16" on center. I remember asking a home owner if there was access so I could do my energy audit. When I got there and saw what he was calling access,,, it was 14.5 by about 20. He said his son gets through there easily.

Since you are in PA, make sure the resulting opening is air sealed and the cover is well insulated.

Enjoy
Bud