basement rim joist and floor insulation problem

Old 10-21-14, 08:28 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
basement rim joist and floor insulation problem

When my house was built the foundation for a breakfast nook was incorrectly poured (about 2 feet short) and an extension to the foundation was added. I now have an "inside" concrete wall and an "outside concrete wall for this part of the house. I recently removed the drywall and insulation covering the inside wall and discovered that this wall has an opening for a window that was never installed. I can look through this opening and see that no insulation of the "outside" wall was done. This may explain why the breakfast area is quite cold. it would be very difficult to get into this area to insulate it by hand. What options might I have? Should I do nothing, and simply seal the area off with new inside foam board and drywall or should I contract someone to add foam insulation? (there is a heating vent in this area)

Old 10-22-14, 08:52 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Got a picture?
I'd be very surprise if your going to get someone to spray that small an area.
Just sealing it off from inside the basement is going to do nothing to correct the real issue.
Is this "window" big enough to crawl through?

Old 10-22-14, 10:57 AM
W
its a typical basement casement window space about 6 feet up from the floor. its about three by two. I think it would be very awkward to climb through and get back out. I certainly am not able to do so.

I was hoping to lean through and at the least spray the rim, but the wands sold at Lowes are to short. As for a picture, just think of a box 10 feet long two feet wide and 8 feet deep. I was also wondering about filling the whole thing with the old fiber glass bats that I am replacing.

Old 10-22-14, 11:06 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Just a consideration. Since fixing this properly will involve getting in there, how about cutting the dividing wall in some manner. The window should already have support over it, so cut a window wide opening all the way to the floor. Make it your wine closet .

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: