Adding interior room space

Old 10-25-14, 12:01 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding interior room space

I have a 30x30 garage.
The east wall is a two car door and an exterior door.
The south wall has a door to our utility room, a pair of AC vents (along the top of the wall), and washer hookups.
The attic space over the garage was finished out as a bonus room which connects to the 2nd floor of the main house.

My plan is to frame up a new wall to create ~10x30ft space as an heated/cooled entry mud room and a W&D utilty room.

Here is what I am not sure of
Am I correct in thinking the new wall should be treated as an exterior wall and are their any additional considerations I should look at?
Do I still need a fire rated door going into the house, or can it be moved to the new wall and replaced with a interior door?
Is there anything that should be done to the existing wall between the house and garage (most all of the drywall is going to be ripped and replaced due to old water damage anyway, but I am not sure if insulation should be pulled or left)?

Any suggestions, thoughts, or resources will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-25-14, 02:50 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 867 Votes on 798 Posts
If your new wall will have heated space on one side and unheated on the other then it will need to be insulated. It will not the full weatherproof treatment of an exterior wall but it will need to be insulated like one.

You can either leave the existing fire rated door or remove it. If you remove it the new space and it's wall to the garage will need to meet the requirements for fire resistance since that will be your new first line of defense. If the existing door can be re-used where it stands I would tend to go that way. An extra fire barrier would not hurt and if it can be incorporated in and reduce your work load then I'd just buy a new door for the new wall.

Old 10-25-14, 09:22 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, that helps. My biggest concern with leaving the door is airflow. If I enclose and insulate a portion of the garage (which already has AC ducts and vents running to it), would I be creating an airflow issue (pumping air into a fairly sealed space)? Of course I fully underatand that this very well my an issue entirely of my own imagining or that I may be looking down the wrong rabbit hole for the solution.

Old 10-26-14, 02:45 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 867 Votes on 798 Posts
If you are pumping air into the room it has to get out somehow. A completely open opening would allow maximum airflow but would prevent you from closing off the space to help save energy when you don't need to fully heat the room.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: