Why can't I glue carpet "loose laid" to DRIcore?

Old 10-29-14, 09:09 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why can't I glue carpet "loose laid" to DRIcore?

I have asbestos tiles in my basement so I want to cover them with DRIcore and then put carpet on top of that. Because I do not want to puncture the asbestos tiles with anything I can't do the "anchor the perimeter to the concrete" technique that DRIcore suggests. So this also rules out tack strips, pad and stretching as the unattached DRIcore panels would buckle/lift. That's all fine. I actually just want a glue-down industrial/office type of carpet down there anyway. So what I was hoping to do is just put down the DRIcore and then glue the carpet directly to that. But the DRIcore instructions say not to glue carpet or pad to the DRIcore. Why? What harm would that cause?

Old 10-29-14, 09:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 894 Votes on 824 Posts
It's amazing what some carpets don't require. In my rental houses I don't glue down most carpeting. Lay it out and put the molding down around the perimeter and that does good enough to hold the edges down. Then put some furniture in the room and it's really anchored in place.

Old 10-29-14, 10:23 AM
H
I wondered about that... but I didn't want to find out after I had the molding, furniture, etc in place that it started bubbling up from vacuuming and normal usage... would carpet tape be a happy medium? Or is there really some issue with any type of bond between the DRIcore and the carpet?

Thanks for the reply!

Old 10-29-14, 11:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 894 Votes on 824 Posts
Carpet tape or a 6" wide strip of glue around the perimeter is an option though it still would allow the carpet in the middle to move as furniture is slid and there is still the possibility of bubbling. I don't think anything short of stretching with tackless strip or full gluing will prevent the chance of bubbling.

Old 10-29-14, 12:31 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
They make industrial strength glue guns (not homeowner stuff) that is designed to glue down carpet tack strips to cement. There also is a product called Chemrex which comes in a tube like caulking that you use to glue down carpet tack strips. Neither require any nails and provided your vat tiles are well adhered should work great in your situation. This would allow conventional carpeting with pad for a more comfortable room without the expense of Dricore.

If you have ever tried to get a commercial glued carpet up, you would understand why Dricore recommends against it. Last one I did, I had to cut the floor into 12" strips just to get enough leverage to get the carpet to release. It would destroy the subfloor.

Products can be found at carpet supply stores used by flooring installers. Places where you by pad and accessories. Or if installing professionally, ask for installers who have either of these methods at their disposal.

Old 10-29-14, 03:01 PM
H
At least some of the perimeter tiles are loose from what I've seen, so that's why I don't feel comfortable with anything that needs to stick to them. It's a pretty small area (12x24) so the expense of the DRIcore isn't real high. DRIcore + carpet for that area is about $700 total. If it'll work well and effectively seal off the asbestos then I'd consider that money well spent. Plus the DRIcore provides some insurance against any future basement moisture issues.

I'm not trying to be super dense here, but just to make sure I understand you guys... the gluing of the carpet to the DRIcore would only be an issue in the event that I'd need to replace the carpet, right? If that's the case and it provides me with a decade of trouble-free usage, that may be an acceptable solution.

Still weighing the options, definitely appreciate your input, thanks!!

Old 10-29-14, 03:16 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Have never used Dricore, just letting you know the "fun" of taking out a glued down carpet. May be worth a call to the company and ask that specific question so you can weigh the odds. As far as the tiles being loose - they are only an issue if you try to sand or aggressively try to remove them and cause a lot of dust to be thrown into the air. If they are loose already, simply place them in a garbage bag, seal the bag and dispose of. You are not in danger from exposure to the tile itself, only the dust created by the removal process. That is why everyone just put something over them. So the few loose ones can be removed to open up the traditional pad and carpet route with glued tack strips if desired. Just trying to give you the most options.

Not to give this guy to many hits, but here is a short video of the chemrex product and how well it sticks when properly applied (squeeze out and mist lightly with water to activate).

chemrex cx 948 - YouTube

Old 10-30-14, 05:37 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I have a 28 x 27 room with only the seam glued. Never had an issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: