Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Modular house on foundation: Removing the plastic from the bottom?

Old 11-02-14, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We bought this 2300 sq ft UBC modular house in Denver. in 2004, and had it put on a regular foundation, with an insulated and sealed crawl space. The temperature in there is around 60-68 all year around.

The problem is, it's got plastic sheeting over the bottom of the house, with insulation up under that, which of course was meant for if it had been put on a mobile home lot instead, and we cant get to the plumbing, which needs looking at, or anything electrical under there. The plastic sheet has some holes in it, from when we have had to have some people do a few things.

My question is; Is there any point at all, in keeping the plastic sheeting and insulation under there anymore?

I'm wondering how much it might cost, to pay someone to carefully removed it and haul it off?

The crawl space is heated by the heating ducts under there, in the winter, and cooled by the AC in those same ducts in the summer, so it must act as an energy storage for the house, anyway. I cant imagine any harm in this.

It's just that we have some kind of plumbing problem and need to get the pipes mapped out, so we know what we're dealing with, and whether they're sloping properly towards the current sewage outlet at the far end of the house, or need to be changed.

( See ************)

Last edited by GregH; 11-03-14 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Remove link
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-14, 03:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Since the crawlspace is sealed [?] and conditioned with your HVAC there really isn't any need for the insulation. On all the mobile homes I've worked on, I've left the belly wrap intact until there was an issue that required cutting it .... and then I'd open it up and then seal it back when done - but none of them had a conditioned crawlspace

Old 11-03-14, 09:44 AM
So just have the plastic removed, ok. But it won't hurt to remove the insulation either?

Old 11-03-14, 10:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 192 Votes on 178 Posts
You say the crawlspace is heated and cooled. That is extremely unusual. I suspect your crawlspace is still un-conditioned space. If so you still need to maintain the floor insulation. The plastic can also be helpful to keep the higher moisture of the crawl space from causing a mold problem in the flooring and insulation above.

Old 11-03-14, 01:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
If it is truly part of the house HVAC air, then you should seal it from the outside air and insulate the walls. If the floor is dirt, that needs a poly vapor barrier on top of the dirt sealed to the walls. In that situation, I would also remove the insulation in the ceiling.

Old 11-03-14, 02:17 PM
No it's not heated and cooled by ducts, it's insulated and sealed, and I was just saying that the ducts are beneath the house, so there's a cooling effect in there in the summer, and heating effect in the winter.

The floor is dirt, but covered in plastic. I THINK it's sealed to the side wall insulation, but it's not totally water tight, just plastic sheeting.

Old 11-03-14, 02:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Since that is the case you need to keep the insulation and maybe the plastic too. It can be removed to work on the plumbing but should then be replaced. If you were to install 1 or 2 HVAC vents and insulate the foundation walls, you could remove the insulation.

Old 11-04-14, 10:06 AM
The crawl space was insulated and sealed on the side walls, and sealed to the bottom plastic. But the floor plastic is open all over the place, for the pipes etc and the insulation is sagging, we were told. The following photo was actually from an energy audit, before we had the crawl space walls insulated and sealed.

We had the crawl space walls done by these guys, with that silver glo stuff, and the whole house was sealed better, which has helped our energy usage immensely. But they didn't seal the crawl space floor, as we couldn't afford that.

http://www.basementsystemscolorado.c...FetDMgodIWgAsg

Name:  Energy audit sagging insulation.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  22.7 KB