Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Basement finishing: beginner questions for water management?

Old 11-05-14, 05:12 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I've just started research for finishing my basement and have learned just enough to know how little I know.
It's been about a year since I moved in and haven't noticed major water issues in my partially finished basement (there was a leak from the dishwasher which I've fixed and I once noticed a couple spots of dampness in some carpet.

The house is on a pretty significant grade, does not have exterior drain tile, I do not know if it was built on gravel, I do not know if it has interior drain tile, and it does not have a sump pump.
The only kind of drainage I have seems to be this, which frankly I don't even know what it is:

http://imgur.com/TjB0Z5a
(It looks like the image won't pull in directly, hopefully the link works)
Lines from the water heater and furnace run to it.

I'm incredibly ignorant on the subject so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Is it worth investing in a sump pump (or more?) when I haven't had major problems? Does a sump pump do much good if I don't have drain tile running to it to divert the water to begin with?

Thanks!

Old 11-05-14, 06:57 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I only recommend a sump pump if there is a high water table & no other way to redirect the water, from entering, in the first place. Otherwise, everything is done from outside. First determine if any water is entering through the foundation & let us know what the answer is.

Old 11-05-14, 10:08 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Here is a reference link on many areas of a home. Good reading.
http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...build-renovate

Although I do agree with Pulpo that all water issues from the outside need to be addressed, I personally believe every basement needs a sump pump. Not all basement floods come from mother nature. A busted water pipe or busted washing machine hose can fill a basement while you are at work.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: