Appliances in an unfinished crawlspace

Old 11-08-14, 03:53 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Appliances in an unfinished crawlspace

I've got an old house with a large ground level crawlspace, currently completely unfinished. Dirt on the floor, exposed beams overhead and in the walls. The joists overhead are perhaps eight or eight and a half feet off the floor level, square footage is at least 500 feet. I'd like to place a washing machine and dryer in said crawlspace, and I'm curious what the common code requirements might be. Does there need to be a concrete slab beneath, does the ceiling overhead need to be a certain height, do there need to be finished walls around, etc. I'm interested in moving the hot water heater into the same crawlspace, and I suppose I have the same sorts of questions. Does a hot water heater need to be off the ground, does it need to be in its own enclosure, etc. I'm a total novice when it comes to this sort of permitting, so any information is helpful.

Old 11-08-14, 04:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I don't know if there is any code that covers it or not ..... and codes vary in different locales.
The main thing is to elevate the appliances off of the dirt, mainly to keep them from rusting out. My air handler is in my crawlspace and it sets on blocks. I have a neighbor that has his water heater in his crawlspace - not sure how it's installed. A finished basement is required to have 7' of head room but I doubt there is a crawlspace use requirement, other than commonsense. No one would want to do laundry if they bumped their head every time!

joists overhead are perhaps eight or eight and a half feet off the floor level
somehow I missed that

Last edited by marksr; 11-08-14 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-08-14, 04:44 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Are the dryer and water heater electric or gas?

With that much head room it is really a dirt floor basement and even if code doesn't require it, a slab with a vapor barrier under it would be a useful addition.

CA has a variety of climates so are you hot cold or both? Have you had any water issues?

Bud

Old 11-08-14, 09:39 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
ALL appliances need a firm and substantial base. Take that any way you like.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: