Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Remodeling Basement (Previous Water Damage to Walls)

Old 11-12-14, 06:34 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Last owner cut pretty high up existing panel board due to water damage. Thoughts on the easiest/cheapest way to re-model this?

Given there is drywall beneath the panel board, I was thinking remove all panel board, mud/paint the drywall, and use wainscoting or something similar to hide previous cut marks on bottom? Thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  34.1 KB

Old 11-12-14, 06:54 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Fiberglass and drywall against a basement wall can have its problems. The existing damage was apparently due to liquid water, but moisture passing through the concrete or from the inside through the drywall can bring on the mold. Since you are half way there it might be a good time to review all options. I'll attach a link on finishing basements and another broader link on the whole house.

BSD-103: Understanding Basements — Building Science Information

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...build-renovate

Bud

Old 11-14-14, 06:50 AM
R
Hi Bud,

Thanks for the reply but you didn't answer my question.

So, again, does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on the easiest/cheapest way to re-model this? Is there another forum somewhere I may have better luck posting this in?

Old 11-14-14, 07:39 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
OK, I'd rip out the paneling and add drywall so you could have a finished drywall wall.

How's that?

Old 11-14-14, 07:53 AM
B
Hi Rich,
Before I can answer your question, we and you need to understand the problem, which isn't just replacing the void at the bottom. Thus the related links to help bring you up to speed on moisture issues, which all basements have to deal with and that is in addition to liquid water problems.

Help is available, but it requires a two way conversation, not just "answer my question I'm not interested in the details." If you want to work with us to dig out those details I'm happy to continue.

Bud

Old 11-14-14, 11:20 AM
R
There are no moisture issues- most of the basement is above grade (walk-out door). The previous owner stated the nearby river over-flowed and came into the basement. He stated they have never had water any other time but since I plan on living here forever I don't want to place drywall back on the bottom in case water does come in. Do they make a plastic alternative to wood wainscotting? Plastic siding of some sort which may work? Other options? I'm not overly concerned with the insulation, just want to make the space liveable again in the most painless way possible. Thx

Old 11-14-14, 11:28 AM
B
When I was searching for bead board for the bathroom renovation, moisture was a concern and yes I ran across a mfg that make theirs out of a synthetic material. I just search for a minute and did not see what I wanted, but search for PVC (vinyl) beadboard sheets or wainscoting.

Back later.

Bud

Old 11-14-14, 11:42 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
If you get flooded again, the studs are going to get wet and you'll need to pull whatever cover you have. Drywall is cheap so I would stick with that. That said, hide a seam under some chair rail and you make for an easy place to remove and replace in the future if you have to do so.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: