Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Trolley storage system for garage - looking for ideas

Old 11-14-14, 05:06 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

Long time viewer of these forums first time poster so go easy ;-). It's always a battle in my house as to where in the garage I can put my punching bags. Mostly because they take up square footage to use but not to store. I was tossing around some ideas and thought of an over head trolley system that could be used to brings my bags in and out of the 'storage corner'.

I am trying to brain storm some ideas on how I might do this. What types of materials might be reccomended etc. I did happen to find this thread http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ba...-system.html#b which suggested box rail.

I need the track to be about 35-40ft (working on some blue prints). It needs to be able to hold bags that are about 110lbs. The most hanging weight would be 350-400lbs. The X factor is the swinging back and forth and downward force potentially applied to the bag. I'm not an engineer so I have no idea how to calculate the amount of force. But really what matters most is that it's safe.

Any suggestions to materials and or ways of doing this? Any +1s on box rail? Installing an I beam sounds excessive set me straight :-)

Thanks,
Kevin

Note - I need to be able to wheel these in and out but they also need to stay in place while I'm fighting

Old 11-15-14, 02:26 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Free Standing Heavy Bag, Revgear Lareg Heavy Duty Punching Bag

The free standing bag eliminates the need to hang the heavy bag. You can even leave it outside & cover it with a tarp. I highly recommend that product. For speed & double end bags, I like Rival, from Canada. Everlast is for beginners.

Old 11-15-14, 03:11 PM
K
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately this is an option for me. I do have some free standing bags but they are all in storage.

The space I am trying to utilize is my 'gym' but also a high traffic area when I'm not in there. That's why I need a solution that I can put away quickly and easily if need be.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 11-15-14, 03:16 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
In that case you can build a header & install your trolley system. The swinging isn't going to make that much difference.

Old 11-15-14, 05:55 PM
K
Thanks again for the reply pulpo,

I was trying to figure out why you are recommending to build a header - would it not be sufficent to attach these straight to the beam?

I realize I left out an important factor potentially. My main floor is actually the second story ( you have to go up steps to get to my front door). So the garage is essentially just a 'room' with garage doors. Above it you have the floor joists for the bedroom and the beams.

I guess my thought was that I could just install a track to the structural beams using brackets.

Any thought on this or explanation for building out a header? It would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Kevin

Old 11-15-14, 08:24 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
In that case you are going to rock the people upstairs, when that thing starts to jump. Even if the structure solid as a rock, they are going to feel or hear it. There has to be a way to use the free standing bag. Are you trying to use it to park a car too? Post some pics, of the garage. Show all angles, from each corner/side.

Old 11-15-14, 09:28 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I don't know if it will work for your purpose but barn door (sliding garage door) track is fairly inexpensive and you can get it to support 400 pounds easily. If I remember correctly you can it it in up to 12 foot lengths and also couplers if you need longer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: