Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Attic Storage - Remove perpendicular boards when putting down flooring?

Old 11-16-14, 07:32 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm turning the attic above my garage into some extra storage space. There are two set of boards that run perpendicular to the garage ceiling (or in the case of the attic storage, floor) joists as shown in this picture.

Name:  20141109_172316.jpg
Views: 4185
Size:  29.6 KB

As you can see, one of them has a support that runs up to the garage roof's end gable. Here's how it attaches at the end.

Name:  20141116_091400.jpg
Views: 3548
Size:  25.5 KB

My question is: can I get rid of these supports? Were they only put here: 1. to aid in original construction of the roof (hold the end gable in place while the roof was being constructed), and 2. to give the joists more rigidity since there was no flooring of any kind to do so?

I was originally just going to put the flooring (OSB) around these perpendicular boards, but now that I'm at the point of needing to cut/secure my 4x8 sheets of OSB down, I'm second thinking that because it'd be really nice to have them out of there if I can and I don't really want to come back and redo it.

Much thanks!

Old 11-16-14, 08:00 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
They sure look like temporary braces installed during construction. If you are concerned, you can install a diagonal on each side up against the bottom of the rafters. It would be out of the way and still provide a similar bracing. But the real carpenter pro will be along and perhaps you can just remove them.

Bud

Old 11-16-14, 11:15 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What size and span are those joist?
Often times there way under sized for a floor or any kind of storage and only there to keep the roof from spreading.

Old 11-16-14, 12:30 PM
A
Received 72 Votes on 65 Posts
In case you want to read up on them, the horizontal pieces on top of and perpendicular to the joists are strongbacks. I have seen them spec'd, and have seen them voluntarily added by the builder, so hard saying how yours came to be. They do serve a purpose though. The pieces angled to the gable may have been used as part of the construction, or possible intended as permanent reinforcement. Normally, I would take them a bit lighter once the roof was sheathed, but it looks like you have 1x boards, rather than plywood, so it's possible that they were intended to remain. As Joe said though, the first thing is to look at the size and span of the joists, because anything else may be a non-issue at that point.

Old 11-16-14, 02:36 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I was thinking it was/is the board angled up to the gable that is in question. If it is those strongbacks, you are correct they should stay.

Bud

Old 11-16-14, 04:08 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
From my easy chair it looks like those braces were put there as "wind braces" to keep the roof from swaying with wind gusts. Every house I ever built got wind braces and all are still standing without damage.
I would recommend you not remove them as they are serving a necessary purpose.

RR

Old 11-16-14, 04:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
As stated, the flat long board that extends from the rat run to the top of the gable is for adjustment, hence the vertical 2x attached to both. The vertical is there to adjust the tension on the flat long one until you achieve perfection (similar to a guitar bridge), then it is nailed in place. With all the decking in place it can be removed, but I would recommend you place angle bracing on each side just for that warm and fuzzy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: