Basement subfloor

Old 11-16-14, 11:51 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement subfloor

I am finishing a walkout basement and i am working on the subfloor. The ground is level and finished concrete. I have seen where people are using insulation board directly on the floor and then the osb on top of that with no "sleeper joist". Has anybody here done this or should i stick with the traditional method of using sleepers?

Old 11-16-14, 12:41 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
My previous house had a utility room with a concrete floor. I laid foil-faced polyisocyanurate insulation board (two inch thick as I remember) and followed that with 1/2 inch (maybe 3/4) plywood and a sheet vinyl finished floor. Lived there several more years with no problem.

Now that doesn't mean that what I did was correct, just that it seemed okay for the time I was there. The floor was also only eight feet wide by about ten feet long.

Old 11-16-14, 12:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
What will be your final flooring? Carpet, hardwood, tile, etc? You can lay tile directly on the concrete. If you have any moisture problems, wood is not going to be a solution.

Old 11-16-14, 04:30 PM
D
I was going to finish it with laminated flooring. I had just seen a few things where people were using t&g half inch insulation board and then osb on top with no sleepers. I was conserned about the subfloor breathing. I dont have any leak problems but i know moisture seeps up through the concrete and didnt know if no air circulation under the floor would cause a problem.

Old 11-16-14, 04:33 PM
The foam board will possibly flex too much to allow for a good laminate installation. Moisture won't go anywhere but up, so if you have any at all, I would recommend against laminate. Look into DriCore products which will give a good support as well as ventilation.

Old 11-16-14, 05:51 PM
D
I looked at the dricore.....its way over priced, i could get the same effect with furring strips for a quarter of the price. I also looked at a brand called barricade, same style but has a foam board attached to the bottom instead of the plastic that dricore is using. Then i saw where a few people basically made their own versions with insulation board. So the plan was to use the insulation board, then osb, then the laminate floor. It seems to me it would have the same effect as putting down plastic as a vapor/moisture barrier.

Old 11-17-14, 03:02 AM
If you lay the foam and tape all the joints, it will serve as a vapor barrier. Next layer...OSB...I am assuming you will be laying it on the foam without fasteners? Remember, if you fasten it, you will infiltrate the very vapor barrier you are trusting to keep you moisture at bay. If you don't fasten it, there could possibly be movement at the edges. Not good for laminate. I would graduate to a decent (5/8") engineered floor at any rate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: