Sealing off sump pit

Old 11-17-14, 04:05 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sealing off sump pit

Hello, I was wondering if there was possibly any way to seal off my sump pit in case of a sump pump failure, the water would not overflow out into the basement.

Old 11-17-14, 05:15 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Sealing the pit would not prevent a a wet basement if the water rises above the floor. The perimeter of the slab will usually leak. A back-up power system for the pump like a generator as opposed to batteries.

In some cases a very large sump pit can buy you a short amount of time.

Bud

Old 11-17-14, 05:21 PM
X
I guess I should have given a little more info, the basement has an internal french drain system, I never lose power here, but what had happened was a sump pump failure which resulted in a flooded finished basement (only about an inch of water though)

I do have a lot of slope from my house to the front of my property, I was thinking of digging outside of the foundation where the existing sump pump is, install a large external basin and hopefully allow gravity flow down to the drain at the end of my yard, is this feasible? Basically using a combination of my internal french drain system and an outside system.

Old 11-17-14, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,529 Votes on 1,412 Posts
It's not always easy picturing a remedy but maybe the french drain system can be connected to the new pipe and led away from the house without a new basin.

Old 11-18-14, 04:29 AM
X
Thats more of the idea I had, but if I can't get enough drop, I would rather put a large basin with an ejector pump in it to discharge the water, if the pump failed, then I would at least have some time before it filled up.

Old 11-18-14, 04:58 AM
B
You can install a warning system to tell you the level has gone too high, fairly simple. A gravity drain is always great, just be sure it doesn't clog from soil or roots. A ditch witch can dig a deep narrow trench to install a pipe with minimal disturbance to the yard. They can be rented.

A second pump is also a good idea. It seems like overkill until the primary one fails. It could also be set to power a light or alarm for that warning signal.

Bud

Old 11-18-14, 07:04 AM
X
I have access to a mid sized backhoe so the trench wouldn't be difficult, I would need to go down about 6' to the footer of the house, drill a hole into the internal french drain and install pipe, I would then use 4" pipe to travel the distance from the house to the road, leaving plenty of drop as I go. This would allow the water to collect in the internal french drain and run outside the house into a collection pipe and down to the road.

Any flaws in this logic?

Old 11-18-14, 07:28 AM
B
The couple I have done have been to edge of property dry wells well below the basement floor and worked transparently. Be careful with a 6' deep trench as I'm sure you know.

I'm in cold country as well so draining to the surface can be a winter problem. Digging a large dry well that can percolate into the soil below, assuming you have the soils and the low water table to do so, is an option.

Sounds good.
Bud

Old 11-19-14, 03:28 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
what kind of pump - not zoeller, was it ? on occasion, we've also installed a wtr-power'd pump AND m-53 zoeller ( std of the wtrproofing trade ),,, 12v backup's are for a short duration no matter who makes 'em & 1 is rarely sufficient for the usual need,,, we buy pumps on ebay - about $120 + $20 shipping - beats paying $175 @ ferguson

your logic's correct - gravity drainage is always best don't forget silt cloth & #57 stone - NEVER use silly cloth socks on pipe

Old 11-19-14, 05:29 AM
X
It was indeed zoeller, the float mechanism failed on it, it was sticking in the down position. I replaced it with a goulds with a separate tether float, that way I know the float won't be getting stuck. I want to stick another pump in for backup, but I don't think I have enough room in the pit.

Old 11-19-14, 07:05 AM
B
I Know it would be a pain, but I like two pits in different corners of the basement. Which corners or even if that is a good option depends upon your basement.

One of the tether floats you used set at a higher level and powering a light or warning off some sort is what I was thinking of earlier.

If your pit is like most, the pump empties it in about 2 seconds. A pit should really be much larger to reduce the frequency and increase the pump time. Unfortunately, once they start working they are quickly forgotten, until next time .

Bud

Old 11-19-14, 08:39 AM
X
The perfect spot for another pit would actually be in the same utility room but the opposite corner, because what I actually found is that is the low spot, it just would be one major under taking to do, I do have the skill and tools to do it, but man its going to be a pain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: