Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Best Way to Improve Heating of Finished Basement?

Old 11-21-14, 08:32 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello all.

Last year, my wife and I purchased our first home. She works at home and uses the finished portion of the basement. During the winter months, she has to bundle up like crazy to stay relatively warm. I've been looking at ways to improve her comfort level when down there without blowing the bank. So if someone could help me figure out the best way to do that, I'd appreciate it.

So the attached image is a quick sketch of the space. The side on the right is finished and insulated between the drywall and basement walls, except for the areas highlighted in green. So under the stairs, in the closet with the water shutoffs, and in the wall separating the unfinished and finished spaces, there is no insulation. Additionally, there is only one vent from the furnace feeding the finished side of the basement (indicated in red). The vent is in the basement ceiling in the middle of the room with a damper and round vent cover.

So what do you think my first course of action should be? Would insulating the few walls provide much impact? Do I need to look into an HVAC remedy? Any other ideas?

Thanks so much!

Attached Images  
Old 11-21-14, 10:25 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
What size is the room?

Are there returns down there?

Insulation almost never hurts but it's pretty common to not have enough heat being dumped into the area.

Old 11-21-14, 11:33 AM
F
I haven't measured the room, but it's something like 400-450 sq. ft.

There are no returns in the finished side of the basement, and just the one supply register in the ceiling.

I know that I probably won't be able to get it as comfortable downstairs as it is upstairs without some major work, but if I can do anything to positively impact her comfort while down there all day, I'm open to it.

Old 11-21-14, 11:35 AM
S
Group Moderator
I think you have an airflow problem - the room sounds too big for one vent and you certainly need a return or two as well.

Old 11-21-14, 12:47 PM
F
Yeah, I thought as much. Unfortunately, I'm guessing having that resolved would be relatively costly, no (correct me if I'm wrong)?

Assuming it is, would adding that insulation actually provide a meaningful impact, or would it not be worth the time/expense? I was thinking of doing that along with a space heater or something to manage the temperature if it would be efficient. Otherwise, maybe I'll have a few HVAC pros come out for an estimate.

Old 11-21-14, 12:54 PM
S
Group Moderator
If the ceiling is finished, it would probably require at least some drywall work to add another vent.

It may not be that bad to add a floor level return on the wall shared by the two rooms, though, and that alone might make a significant difference.

Old 11-26-14, 11:30 AM
I responded to a similar question a few years ago on the forum. Here are my comments from back then September 2011 & the link to the thread. I hope this helps. It is a lot easier & cheaper.****************

If I had to do my basement over, I would go with those portable coffee table type units. I put in a sealed gas fireplace in my basement ($1,000) that vents outside. It looks good, has a mantle above it & a fan that moves the warm air. This is in addition to 2 vents from my house furnace & A/C unit that I added, but my space is closer to 1,000 sqft. My fireplace type unit only keeps that part of the basement warm.
But my in-laws went with the portable coffee table type units, I can't recall the exact name but a few I looked up are - EdenPure & BioSmart. There is another brand that is better, looks good with a finished wood cabinet & has full thermostat that controls the unit. They love theirs & it provides plenty of heat right where they use the basement the most.
I am not sure where you live, but also remember a basement normally does not need as much heat or cooling as a above ground part of the house. Being in ground, the temp swings between seasons is not that much & insulation makes it even more stable. My basement actually gets too cold in the summer as the A/C from the supply vents I installed keeps it pretty cold down there. Be sure to install / include a cold air return to your furnace as it will help to move the air.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ba...#ixzz3KCj6KGdt

Then my follow-up response was:

Sorry, my Solar Comfort search using just those words came up with numerous hits all similar but not the one that I thought it was. Here is the site for the one I have heard & advertised here in KC. Solar Comfort | Infrared Heater | Portable | Floor | Space.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ba...#ixzz3KCjSxtLy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: