Sub-Basement moisture - where to start?

Old 12-06-14, 10:01 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sub-Basement moisture - where to start?

My brother is having a kid, needs a place to live and inherited a home with a 1,250 sqft sub-basement with 10 ft ceilings. The house was built on backfill - actually built then backfilled around it.

The floor is dirt. There is free water in one corner. There is condensation on the floor and ceiling on one side of the area - the area that is above ground. The walls are concrete block filled with concrete for structural purposes of the backfill. The walls are not damp or moldy. I don't know if the main source of water is the dirt floor or condensation. The landscape is appropriately sloped away from the foundation. The downspouts are in good order and discharge away from the house. I have no plans to finish that space. A doomsday prepper might have a use for it, we do not.

Any suggestions are welcome.
I am considering a french drain, then adding a vapor barrier with 6" overlap, taped, extended one foot up the walls and covering it with gravel.
Next, I would add ventilation at 90 cfm that would turnover the whole space every 2.5 hours.

Thank You,
Brian

Last edited by Soparklion; 12-06-14 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-06-14, 10:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,523 Votes on 1,406 Posts
I am considering a french drain, then adding a vapor barrier with 6" overlap, taped, extended one foot up the walls and covering it with gravel.
Inside or outside ?

You can't trap moisture between a finished wall and a block wall with plastic vapor barrier.
Floor is dirt with water in one corner ?? That water would have to go.

I'd like to see some pictures of the basement area. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: