Basement Floor Insulation

Old 12-09-14, 12:28 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Floor Insulation

I'm planning on laying 3/4 Extruded Polystyrene foam directly on the concrete floor. Next 3/4 inch OSB. The foam and OSB are both tongue and groove, using tapcon screws to control any bonce where necessary. Next 1/4 inch underlayment, followed by some kind of flexible individual tiles.

I've heard of others talking about this plan and they mention high density foam board but not any numbers.

I'm planning on using 25psi foam board.

The use of this area will be an office.

Any problems here

thanks

Old 12-09-14, 03:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Having any flex in your flooring can be disastrous to a tile installation. Is there a reason you can't just install the tile on the concrete?

Old 12-10-14, 02:51 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
just 2 words, chan - cold tootsies ,,, my atl home office's in the bsmt but there's carpeting over the conc floor + 150w light bulb under the desk

Old 12-10-14, 03:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
I would embed heating and tile over that before I would have a potential movement in the subfloor. Plus, the cost of the materials for the proposed underlayment would probably pay for the heat system. Just trying to think of alternatives.

Old 12-10-14, 11:29 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My basement is currently very well insulated except the floor which is ICE COLD (I agree with stadry's post). For the office room of the basement, I was planning on using flexible tile but if this is a problem, maybe linoleum might be better option. But I'd need to have it installed. The remaining basement area is used for mainly storage so I'll just paint the OSB or plywood.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: