Wired Concrete Block in Basement

Old 12-10-14, 12:56 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wired Concrete Block in Basement

I'm contemplating finishing the basement of the house in which I'm currently living. The basement is currently just concrete block, it was waterproofed on the outside a few years ago and I recently painted it all with two coats of UGL Drylok. One potential problem I'm having is what should I do with the current wiring. The previous home owner who built the home wired the block I assume with no thoughts of ever finishing the basement. What would need to be done with this wiring so that I may frame and have someone come and wire that basement so that the boxes are flush with the framing?

Thank you for you help, just trying to figure out any pitfalls before starting any projects down there.

Old 12-10-14, 01:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Can you tell whether or not the wiring comes out at the sill plate above? If it does, the electrician can possibly pull the wiring out and reinsert it into your framed wall. If not, he can run new circuits, or cut loose the wiring going to the block and use junction boxes to reconnect the wiring. That is if you plan on a drop ceiling. All junction boxes must be covered and remain accessible, so if sheetrock is in your ceiling plans, he must run new wiring if the old will not reach properly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: