So many sub-floor options....

Old 12-14-14, 09:22 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question So many sub-floor options....

I am in the process of having my basement finished. It was previously finished with 70's wood paneling and tile. The tile is in good shape throughout, with only maybe 10 that are cracked or coming up.

I have read about the importance of putting in a sub-floor, especially with planning to put carpet down. I have read that the old way of putting plastic vapor barrier down and framing on top or plywood is no longer advised. Also that putting padding/carpet right on top of the cement is a no no.

My question is would putting padding/carpet on top of the tile be an issue? Or due to its age and condition would that be the same as putting it direct on the cement?

What is everyone's thought on subflooring in a basement. I have looked into dricore but it seems to be mostly a sham. Easy to install but all those joints with 2'x2' boards results in mold. Someone had mentioned SuperSeal which you apparently roll out and then put padding right on top. It seems to be a small operation with no local US distributor. Reviews are also hard to come by. I've also looked at Delta-FL but that requires plywood on top to install carpet. These option seems good but not as good as the SuperSeal. There is also DMX 1-step which seems very similar to the Delta FL.

I almost come away with the feeling that none of these options are really that good. Pretty much you are damned no matter which direction you go. Has anyone used any of these products? Thoughts? Issues after the install? What about installing padding/carpet on top of current old tiles?

Last edited by HelplessTechie; 12-14-14 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-27-14, 08:59 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm curious about why you think 2'x2' subfloor units will result in mold. I'm still finishing a basement workshop (focusing on ceiling research at the moment) but did a lot of research on subfloors before I started. That led me to choose Barricade Insulated Subfloor Tile, recommended by Steve Maxwell (https://stevemaxwell.ca/ovrxs-barric...bfloor-tiles/#, video at https://stevemaxwell.ca/video-featur...sement-floors/). Although it's not stocked by my local building supply stores, it was worth the special order, because it was truly easy to install and provides a good base for even the commercial VCT flooring I used over it. (I imagine laminate flooring, carpet, or sheet vinyl would work even better for less-demanding floors.) I considered Dri-core but preferred the insulation that Barricade/OVRx provides. If Dri-core offered an insulated version, I expect it would be as good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: