Basement Flooring options - Would like advice

Old 12-15-14, 02:05 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Flooring options - Would like advice

I am just finishing dry walling (green board). I live in MA and have a walk out basement. I have about 350 ft of finished basement and it is an open room but it is divided by cellar stairs. I have 1 area where tv and computer will be and the other area is a work out room. (Heavy weights, treadmill, etc.) The space is a little tight.
My basement is humid during the summer. I run a dehumidifier and MT it 2X a day in summer. I do not have water in my basement.
I have talked to sales people, internet etc. I will not use wood, laminate or vapor barrier under the floor. I do not want to use dri-core, etc as I want the height and do not want to spend the $$.
My daughter said to tile. I can tile but I would only tile the TV room as the weights are very heavy. I am using rubber horse mats from TSC currently and am planning to buy a couple more to protect the concrete floor (1992 built)
My thoughts are vinyl or carpet tiles. The TSC rubber mats really smelled and took awhile for the smell to go away. I am worried about that if I use rubber flooring.
Will glue hold up for vinyl or carpet tiles as it is humid?

I also have 4 cats and 1 of them is peeing on the concrete. I cannot get rid of the cats

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

Old 12-16-14, 07:48 PM
G
If you want to glue something down and the only question is if the glue will hold up to the moisture, I wouldn't think there'd be a problem. Read labels and contact manufacturers - there should be many for high-moisture applications. Save the receipts, take some during photos, and note the warranty if you want. But if the cat pissin on the floor, I wouldn't glue or put anything down that can soak it up like carpet tile, I'd put solid laminate or well-sealed tiles.

I guess it's too late since you drywalled already but maybe you should have framed a door to separate the gym matts from the rest of the basement to keep the cat out so it can't pee on them. Or just try and keep the cat out of the basement?

Old 12-17-14, 01:18 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
from reading your post, you only need to get rid of ONE cat : clean the floor, acid-stain it, apply a decent sealer, & don't worry about the cat IF you decide you like warmer tootsies, buy some throw rugs from target - just don't use a credit/debit card

Old 12-17-14, 02:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I'd put solid laminate
No way would I put laminate in a basement that has any moisture or humidity. Laminate isn't "solid" anyway. Tile is your best friend with the humidity problems. Does the cat have access to a litter box? Usually they would prefer that to just peeing in the open, unless it is an older cat with problems.

Just because he drywalled already, wouldn't preclude building a stub wall and installing a door to separate the two entities. It may be a good idea if you think that would help with noise, cats, etc. Do you have any HVAC active in the basement? Vents, returns, etc?

Old 12-17-14, 05:46 AM
B
I do not have HVAC as I have FHW. My room is Z shaped. One part (tv room) is center beam to front (rectangle) Divided by cellar stairs. Other part is larger but framed for oil tank, furnace and electric panel which are in the front corner of house. When u walk down cellar stairs, ur in finished area.
When u come in walk-out, it is unfinished for length of house which has Washer-Dryer, storage & my work area. The house is 38x28.

I have a door in each room and a door into the furnace.
2 Litter boxes are in unfinished area by walk out door but you need to go thru the finished area to get to the Litter boxes.

I know it is 1 F..ing female cat which peed on the floor by the casement window in the finished area as she marking her territory. Last night, I saw the other female running from the litter boxes where she peed on the floor. It is the females.

I think my only option is vinyl tile with glue as the weights will break ceramic tile. Do u agree?

clean the floor, acid-stain it, apply a decent sealer.
Would that be for the whole floor or only the unfinished part

Old 12-17-14, 07:02 AM
M
Your Cat

The expert on the My Cat From Hell series (Animal Planet cable channel) always says to provide at least one litter box per cat, maybe also an extra one. Then they don't do possession/dominance games with the litter boxes, the cats are happy, the owner's happy. That's an informative and entertaining show, by the way. The guy really knows his stuff.

Old 12-17-14, 01:56 PM
G
If it's covered in rubber matts, why not just paint/stain/epoxy the gym floor areas you can see if you can't stand the plain cement?

get a few more litter pans. Get the scoopable stuff and keep a lidded pail near it to just scoop the stuff into, it's actually much cheaper to buy the scoopable than the cheaper clay stuff because once the clay is all made into, it's a mess and needs replacing in like a week and they want to pee in the house, plus the territorial games though. you don't necessarily have to buy a bunch of $30 litter pans, you can get tubberware bins for like $5 and cut them in half height and put plastic liners.

Yea, you can build a wall if it's already sheetrocked, just make sure you hit dead center of the studs above, don't assume the framing is perfect and just start screwing/nailing 16 OC or 24 OC or whatever you framing is after you find one joist would be my suggestion.

For the TV area, if he said no laminate like I suggested then I don't know besides non porous tiling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: