walk out basement

Old 12-22-14, 08:56 AM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
walk out basement

Hey guys I have been pondering the idea of adding a walk out to my basement, I know this is a huge undertaking and there are many things that would need to be done to make it work, but I want to just see what you guys think of the idea, and maybe point out any flaws I am not seeing.

1959 house, block foundation with poured floor, located in central Pa. Floor to ceiling joist is roughly 8'. The wall I want to put the door on runs perpendicular to the floor joist. This wall faces the side of my house, which is also the side the driveway is on, there is roughly 2' of foundation already exposed on this side of the house. The ground slopes pretty significantly out towards the driveway, I haven't shot grade yet, but by the looks of it, there is 6' of drop from the driveway to house, which would be perfect for excavating and getting down to floor level.

Now I know there is problems that will oppose me. My basement already had in internal french drain system. So the door would either have to sit above this, leaving a step up out of the basement, or I would have to cut through it. Cutting through it would eliminate that half of the french drain, meaning I would have to excavate the entire foundation on this wall and add in a new external french drain system.

Another problem would be putting the footer above the frost line, the footer would have to be excavated and extended.

The reason for wanting to do this, it would not only add value to the home, but would give extra saftey and enjoyment to my finished basement, and would also allow easy access to the basement and could even park vehicles there and enter through the basement.

I know stairs would be much easier to do, but I feel like its a prime location to do a full walkout and not effect the lay of the land all to much.

Of course I wouldn't attempt this project on my own without consulting engineers and subbing out work I am unsure of doing myself.

Old 12-22-14, 09:18 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
How about some pictures of the inside and outside?

Old 12-22-14, 03:42 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I can get you an inside picture tonight, but its to dark out now for a good outside picture.

Old 12-24-14, 12:22 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
there are such things as shallow insulated foundations - this month's issue of concrete construction features a good article on them,,, would work great in pa

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: