A faux header that is too solidly built

Old 01-01-15, 10:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A faux header that is too solidly built

All,

I have a room under a 13'x19' x 6" garage concrete pad. The room is as big as the pad. I have found the load bearing supports directly under the pad itself, and in the crawl space beneath (20 foot LVL plus other strong concreate backed timber).

My question is this: There is a header that runs across the far side the room perpendicular to the joists, which separates the room from the toilet/sink and closet. The header is made up of solid 4x12 timber in 3 different lengths: 7 feet, a space of 3 feet, a 3 foot timber, a space of a space of 3, and another 3 foot beam. The beam is supported by king studs inside both exterior walls, . The header runs parallel to the joists, and has a framework build up to "support it" underneath the house, but only in the middle. The king studs in the exterior walls don't have any support going down into the concrete foundation of the house... the "header" runs perpendicular to the roof, too.

I want to tear the header out after I install a solid beam the entire length of the room with some dressed up columns about 3 feet in from where the current beam is (60 inches to open up the new bathroom, etc)... I'll support my beam with concrete cylinder footprints (48" tubes buried 38" and then supported inside and out with concrete and steel brackets).

I've eliminated anything this solidly build seemingly faux header is needed for... but does it look like I am missing something???

Key points that make me think I can kill it:
-Runs with joists
-Runs against peak of roof
-Beams are solid timber (not stronger LAM or LVL) and cut into sections
-King studs do not channel down structure into foundation
-Garage pad has a wall under the lip of the pad (most interior side of the house) which seems from my stud detector to have some 4 x8's running down it, which connect to similar timber in the crawlspace and into a concrete foundation.

Causes of concern: Seems too darn well built to be meaningless!!! And it's under a concrete pad

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-15, 03:19 AM
you - you've evidently thought this problem thru very well - next, ask your engineer + the local bldg code folks,,, IF it ain't to code, you'll not be able to sell the home,,, IF you have deep pockets, go ahead - i can't see your house from my house

the point is - you MAY be absolutely right however, IF you ain't, who do you sue ? your bride ? or does she sue YOU ? almost forgot - IF there's a problem, w/o documentation, your insurance company will say ' ADIOS ! ' rather quickly & not pay the bills.

Last edited by chandler; 01-02-15 at 03:42 AM.
Old 01-02-15, 11:09 AM
A faux header...

Forum won't upload any of my photos. Here is what I have now seen:

-Looks like the garage and room under are additions... has a new and very stable support structure of 2x6's, 4x8s, LVLs, etc, independent of what my header is doing, which run counter to the joists. My nefarious header is just for looks and runs with the joists.
-The addition LVL had a skeleton framework built up around it (under the subfloor from where my header is) which will not be effected by header removal because...
- There's not actually any weight being supported by the header! The weight it being channeled by a real LBW 40 inches behind where the header is.

If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will regale you all with my remodeling. I think you'll enjoy it.

Old 01-02-15, 11:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 40 Posts
Old 01-02-15, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the instructions. My uploads keep failing (was problem before) so I think it's an issue on my side.