First things to do when finishing a basement?

Old 01-06-15, 12:57 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First things to do when finishing a basement?

Hi All.

I am getting started on finishing my basement, and I want to make sure I do things correctly. I think this is the order I should do things; am I correct? Is there a better order to do things in?

0. Planning
1. Framing
2. Flooring
3. Electrical
4. Walls (leave room for pipes for heating)
5. Heating (Forced Hot Water)
6. Ceiling

Thanks.

~Isaac

(Broken out from my "Finishing my basement" thread)

Old 01-06-15, 01:06 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Ceiling before walls if you're drywalling both and I'd do the electrical before the flooring.

Hang tight for other opinions from the pros.

Also, thanks for breaking this out, I just couldn't get through your first post.

Old 01-06-15, 01:21 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi again,
Those links provided and additional links they lead to will provide a wealth of information. I am also from an engineering (ma Ball) background and before I got into energy efficiency I liked basements. There is much to learn.

Planning and joining this forum are top of the list. There are some great pros here (they tolerate me) on a wide variety of subjects.

Next is air sealing, all penetrations from basement up into the house and the rim joist where it sits on the foundation.

The link on basements shows a layer of rigid foam against the walls and then the studs. This will allow any moisture vapor to pass slowly avoiding a build up and it keeps the wood on the warm side.

Combustion air for the boiler if not sealed combustion.

Keep all pipes on the warm side of any insulation.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: