Basement insulation

Old 01-08-15, 11:45 AM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement insulation

Hey guys, I have a finished basement in my house, when the finished it, they only applied 3/4 foam board to the walls. Would it be beneficial to add another 2" foam board over the top of the existing 3/4 foam?

The basement walls are framed away from the block wall about 4-5 inches, I could slide the panels in from the unfinished side and reach down from the drop ceiling to move them into place. The reason I want to do this is because I am heating my basement and house with a coal stove and want the basement to be tighter.

Old 01-08-15, 11:57 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
You'd have to find a way to make the layers of foam tight against each other with the air gap between the foam and the studs.

Old 01-08-15, 12:10 PM
X
My plan was to put glue on the foam board and move it into position and push it tight again the existing foam, from the looks of it, they didn't take any joints or seal it at the floor or ceiling level, they really seamed to half ass the insulation and it bugs the hell out of me.

I would love to insulate the stud cavities as well, but thats not going to be an easy under taking.

Old 01-08-15, 01:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Insulating the stud bays with Roxul would tighten it up pretty well, and probably at a lesser cost and higher R value than the 2" foam. 3 1/2" of Roxul is R15, moisture proof, fire proof, mold proof and needs no vapor barrier (I'd install one before sheetrock anyway).

Old 01-08-15, 01:26 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Larry - his walls are already rocked, do you have any ideas how he would add the Roxul with only very limited access behind?

Old 01-08-15, 01:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Nope, not any easier than putting up 4x8 sheets of XPS I understand his theory, but he will hit some snags that will leave uninsulated, or poorly insulated pockets, and getting the sheets to suck up to the existing ones would be a bear.

Old 01-11-15, 07:21 AM
X
I don't think it would be all that hard to get them stick up against the wall since I have access from up top, but who knows it could be a huge pain in the rear.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: