Need help with foundation cracks.

Old 01-11-15, 02:40 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need help with foundation cracks.

Hey all ... I've been posting a lot lately, but I have a major concern and I really need an expert eye on this.

I have a massive crack that goes from wall to wall in my basement that I was going to seal.
Name:  long crack.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  14.6 KB

From the internet I knew I had to widen the edges before installing a sealant. However, as soon as I started chiseling it, I realized two things: 1. it was much deeper than I realized and 2. There's some exposed plastic line running along the crack.
Name:  opened crack(2).jpg
Views: 390
Size:  48.9 KB

As I examined this further, I found that there's a thinner crack in my basement, running perpendicular to it, that goes the other length of my basement:
Name:  Four-way split.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  18.8 KB

I am now REALLY concerned that my foundation slab is splitting into four pieces. Is it? Should I call someone to look at this, and if so, what kind of company?

Thanks.

Old 01-11-15, 03:15 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Yes, your slab is splitting into four pieces. Just like it is supposed to. Usually control joints are grooves cut or troweled into the surface but in your case it looks like a plastic strip was inserted into the wet concrete. It creates a weak point so that when the slab cracks it does it in a controlled manner and with a more attractive sorta straight line.

Does the plastic in your floor look like a vertical strip and you are seeing the top edge?

Old 01-11-15, 03:49 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
yes, thats exactly how it looks. this is expected? should i seal it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: