Affix floating basement wall to foundation wall?

Old 01-12-15, 10:36 AM
Affix floating basement wall to foundation wall?

I am about to embark on finishing my basement. I live in CO, and code requires that all basement walls be floated. For most of my basement that will be easy. However, i have one wall that has the HVAC trunk running along it, roughly one inch from the concrete. I would prefer not to have to move the entire trunk out 6 inches if I can avoid it, so I am trying to come up with another plan. Is it acceptable to use pressure treated lumber and affix a wall to the foundation wall directly? I don't want to float the walls fro the floor since i will have a finished ceiling, and any movement could create problems. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Joe

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-15, 12:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! One solution would be to drill and tap a 2x2 laterally along the trunk just above the window, Do the same with a 2x4 on the ceiling along the trunk, and build down and across with cripple/joists so you will have something to attach your sheetrock to. From there you can do your floaty floor thing without having to worry about the ceiling at that point. Once you have your cross joists in place, and before sheetrock, you can install a top plate and build down from that.