Looking for basement bathroom window opinion.

Old 01-14-15, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking for basement bathroom window opinion.

I am putting a bathroom in my basement. The location I am using has a basement window (about 18x9). But, it is in an odd place--the soil stack is in front of it (offset to the right side of the window). So, even though it has hinges on top to open (like an awning window), it only opens about 1/2 way. So, I am wondering the best way to handle this window. It has never given a problem with water as it is under a 2 foot overhang on the outside.

I think my options are:

1) Just leave it alone and let the bathroom sheetrock cover it up. The sheetrock of course, would sit a few inches from the window because of the 2x studs.

2) Remove the window and frame and cinderblock it up. The bathroom sheetrock will be in front of it anyway.

3) Remove the window but leave the frame and use plywood to close it up (faster and easier than cinderblock)

4) Re-fashion the window so that the part that is blocked by the soil stack is removed, but the rest is a fully functional window in the bathroom--but small, about 9x9.

5) Re-fashion the window so that the part that is blocked by the soil stack is removed, but the rest is a glass-block window for the bathroom.

Just wondering what would make the most sense. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-15, 11:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 186 Votes on 175 Posts
Option #1 is the least amount of work and probably makes the most sense. You can always tear the window out from the outside someday if you ever wanted to.

Old 01-14-15, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thats kind of what I was thinking. I small window in the bathroom is pretty much useless (right?) -- as is glass block -- and I will have an exhaust fan anyway.

Thanks for the input.